IE7 unregistered dll?

Oorang

I just installed IE7 beta2. When I went to run my database documenter I noticed it was "broke". After a little debugging I figured out that the Scripting.FileSystemObject needed to be re-registered. I was wondering if IE7 was the culprit. Has anyone else encountered this?

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Hi Oorang,

Can't say that I have encountered it before. I did a search to see if the issue has come up anywhere and found nothing. So, either you just got unlucky or it is a security feature of the new beta that hasn't yet gained a lot of traction.

I did see a comment that ActiveX controls were going to be disabled (as they already are in Firefox), so I'm wondering if other aspects of the system-wide scripting tools are also affected... Still, if you can re-register the dll they haven't got too careful yet.

Denis

Upvote 0
At the rate I use that particular object it would take a serious rewrite if they got rid of it all together. What do you use instead of Active X controls if IE is not longer going to work with them?

Upvote 0
Maybe my comment was a bit broad.
ActiveX is not being discontinued across Windows, or else all the ADO code would collapse... the message I'm getting is that ActiveX is being disabled inside IE, because it's a security risk in that context.
I think you just got unlucky with the install disabling the runtime.

Denis

Upvote 0
Will the user be able to intentionally enable it should they so choose?

Upvote 0
Looks like there will be some flexibility.

This page ... http://msdn.microsoft.com/ie/releasenotes/default.aspx ... has this to say about ActiveX ...
Code:
ActiveX controls--The new Internet Explorer 7 ActiveX Opt-In feature disables ActiveX controls on a user's machine. When the user encounters a webpage with a disabled ActiveX control, they see an Information bar to enable the control. Controls which were used in Internet Explorer 6 before upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, along with some pre-approved controls, are not disabled.
Denis

Upvote 0
Ahhh... Well... I can live with that. It's probably for the best anyway.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back