If 2 cells have a value do nothing, if one cell has value and other cell has no value do this

dappy

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi again folks.

I have a list of cells from lookups that result in this. these cells have ether equal too or vlookup results.

TCH_2TCH_3TCH_4TRX2TRX3TRX4TRX5

<colgroup><col width="64" span="8" style="width:48pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

What i would like to do is compare tch_2 cells to trx2 cells and if both have data then do nothing but if as in the case of tch_3 and trx3 there are blanks in tch_3 then another cell has an output text. unfortnately i can get a result for these BUT if both cells are blank i still get an output. it sees the lookups or equals as a content. I've tried Value and iferror but cant get to the state where no ouptut is given when both are blank

Hope this is clear folks and thanks in advance.

Carl

Dude, that is the dogs mate, perfect, and you did that with me not answering your question clearly!

thanks so much, you chaps rock. that's the perfect solution to my issue. of which i have many :)

thanks again. so appreciated.

Carl

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
You're welcome, glad it worked for you.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Can i add just one more condition please? this works fantastically

=IF(AND(E60="",K60=""),"",IF(OR(E60="",K60=""),"delete","leave"))

So, currently if there is a value in Col E but no value in Col K then we get a "deleted" but if a value is in both then we get a "Leave". that all works perfectly but if the data that is being looked up is both blank i get a "delete". is it possible to have nothing? to get a blank?

I've formated the cells in custom using General;General;;@ to not show a value.

thanks again

Carl

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

Can i add just one more condition please? this works fantastically

=IF(AND(E60="",K60=""),"",IF(OR(E60="",K60=""),"delete","leave"))

So, currently if there is a value in Col E but no value in Col K then we get a "deleted" but if a value is in both then we get a "Leave". that all works perfectly but if the data that is being looked up is both blank i get a "delete". is it possible to have nothing? to get a blank?

I've formated the cells in custom using General;General;;@ to not show a value.

thanks again

Carl

Hi again dappy,

Actually, what you're asking is Already addressed in the formula as highlighted in red above, if both E cell and K cell are Blank, the formula will return Blank ( "" ), that's why I asked about the values in E and K, refer to Post #5 , #7 , and #9 .

So now my question is, how are the values in E and K entered? By formula or manually?
If by formula, can you please post the formula being used?

Upvote 0
Hi,

Yes sorry, I wasnt clear enough initially.

So, E have >=Paste_data!O62<

K has >=VLOOKUP($C62,BTS_TRX!$C:I,3,0)<

thanks again

Upvote 0
This may seem tedious, but we need to know what's in O62, if O62 is result of formula, what's the formula?
What's in C62, and BTS_TRX!E?

By any chance, you're using " " (space) instead of "" (Blank) in your formulas?

Side question: Are you wrapping a number, say 3, with quotes, like "3", instead of just 3 , without quotes in any of your formulas? With quotes, the number becomes TEXT...

Upvote 0
Hi,

i pm'd you with the link to the excel sheet in question, i hope it helps

not using " " (space) instead of ""

not wrapping a number

O62 =VLOOKUP($C62,BTS_TRX!$C:M,7,0) which results in the cell being blank

BTS_TRX E62 =IFERROR(INDEX(BSC_BTS_TRX!$C$2:$C$3000,AGGREGATE(15,6,(ROW(BSC_BTS_TRX!$C$2:$C$3000)-ROW(BSC_BTS_TRX!$C$2)+1)/(BSC_BTS_TRX!$B$2:$B$3000=$C62), COLUMNS($D62:E62))),"")
which again results in the cell being blank

I know its a mess but any chance you can work with this?

Upvote 0
OK, I've had a look at your file.

On "equals_data" Tab, my formula works fine up until Row 61, Columns U, V, and W produced "Blank" ( "" ) results as Expected when the 2 referenced Cells are Both Blank.

But the formula Failed starting at Row 62...

Using S62 as an example:
The referenced Cell E62 contains this formula, =Paste_data!O62; however Paste_data!O62 is a TRUE blank cell with No data or Formula.
Therefore, the TEST of E62="" within my formula returns FALSE, because E62 contains a formula.

It worked for Rows 2 to 61 because you have an apostrophe ( ' ) for referenced cells that are "empty".

So there are 2 ways to "fix" this:

1. Add the apostrophe ( ' ) to Referenced Empty Cells in the "Paste_data" Tab, or
2. Change the formula in E62 to this: =IF(Paste_data!O62="","",Paste_data!O62)

Let me know if my explanation is not clear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
Once again you have come through with flying colours. That worked a treat.

Again, thank you so much, you've lengthened my life by some order!

thank you so much for persevering with this problem and I apologies for having such difficulties describing what i was after.

kind regards

Carl

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back