If a cell value is less than 0 message box

Bushman

Hi,
Just been asked to help and VBA is new to me, can you help?
I'm running this sub as a tally which works ok :)

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Address = "$T$10" Then
Range("S10").Value = Range("S10").Value + _
Range("T10").Value
End If
End Sub

I need help with the following...
1.If the value is less than zero I would like it to alert with a message box.
2.Can this be done for a range of cells (T10-T55)?
3.Can 1. be done without asking it to run, i.e. automatically?

Please help as I didnt know VBA existed until Thursday and it's a steep curve! :eek: Thanks

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
1 What value is below 0?

2 Yes.

3 That code should run automatically anyway, it would be tricky to manually run it.

For 2 I assume the calculations would all be based on the same row, the one where the value has been changed.

For 3 apart from a messagebox what do you want to happen?

Upvote 0
Code:
    If Target.Cells.Count <> 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("T10:T55")) Is Nothing Then
        If Target.Value < 0 Then
             MsgBox "Negative number"
        Else
             Target.Offset(,-1).Value = Target.Offset(,-1).Value + Target.Value
        End If
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

You're doing pretty well for just picking it up. :)

This will expand the range and add your message box (I used a bit of an expanded method that takes a few factors into account and is somewhat more stable):

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Change(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Code goes in the Worksheet specific module</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> rng <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Set Target Range, i.e. Range("A1, B2, C3"), or Range("A1:B3")</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rng = Target.Parent.Range("T10:T55")<br>             <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Only look at single cell changes</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Target.Count > 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Only look at that range</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Intersect(Target, rng) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Action if Condition(s) are met (do your thing here...)</SPAN><br>                Application.EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>                    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Select</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> Target.Value<br>                        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> < 0<br>                            MsgBox "You need to have a value greater than 0!", vbCritical + vbOKOnly, "Value Too Low"<br>                            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Target<br>                                .Select<br>                                .Value = ""<br>                            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>                        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Case</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN><br>                            Target.Offset(, -1).Value = Target.Offset(, -1).Value + Target.Value<br>                    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Select</SPAN><br>                Application.EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

And a Change event will fire automatically. Note that if T10:T55 are changing as the result of a formula, you'll need a calcuate event.

Hope that helps,

Upvote 0
Thx Smitty, that is fantastic, It works great! Though I dont understand it!!!!
I have realised I am an idiot and confused myself and what I asked for wasnt what I need. I hope you are willing to help such a Klutz.
The tally (my bit) is subtracted from a set positive number value (in Q10-Q55) with a simple sum, it is this value (in R10-R55) that I needed the alert for!
if you cant help then thanks very much for that first macro it did exactly what I asked!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thx Wigi and Nori too for replying to my post, apologies to you both for not asking the right question and wasting your time. Sin

Upvote 0
You didn't ask the wrong questions, perhaps you didn't give the exact information but the way this has fallen in your lap can excuse that I think.:)

Mind you, perhaps it's just me, but it's still not quite clear what value(s) you want to work with/check.

Upvote 0
Glad it helped. Now on to the other...

The tally (my bit) is subtracted from a set positive number value (in Q10-Q55) with a simple sum, it is this value (in R10-R55) that I needed the alert for!

I'm not sure if I get this part? Should this be a stand-alone thing or is it in conjunction with the first code?

Maybe you can put it in a broader scope like:

"I enter values in T10:T55 - I need to add that number to the value already in S10:S55. Then in Q10:Q55 there's a number that...And in R10:R55 there's another number that..."

You need to show the relationship between Q, R, S, & T and point out which cells receive data manually and which are formulas.

Upvote 0
To be clear, apologies for not having been so thus far, values are entered manually into column T, range10:55.

Then this macro...
If Target.Address = "$T$10" Then
Range("S10").Value = Range("S10").Value + _
Range("T10").Value
End If
End Sub
...has been adding consecutive entries into column S.
This value is subtracted from a fixed manually entered positive numerical value in column Q, this is expressed in column R.
If the value in column R is negative a message box should alert that an error has occured.
Thanks once again, i hope this is clearer.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back