If a month is skipped change

gr8whthunter76

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Here is the issue. I copy and paste from a adobe file to excel a big report. I have figured out he to highlight numerical differences using conditional formatting, but I can't figure out my first column which has the months in it. The months that copy in are the months in text so A12=July, A13=Aug, A14=Sep and so on. What I would like to do is if there is a month missing then highlight that cell. I found this formula, =A2<>(A1+1), which works if you are using sequential days, but does nothing for sequential months if they are missing. This came about in a 300 line report right about 2/3's of the way through the months skipped from May to Aug and I didn't notice it which was an issue.

Any advice on a formula??????

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Something like this would test A12 against A13 producing true if consecutive and false if not. May need slight change depending on date system.

=EDATE(1&A13,-1)=EDATE(1&A12,-12*(A13="Jan"))

Upvote 0
The easiest solution I can come up with requires a list of month names from Jan to Jan ( 13 rows).

The formula for the conditional formatting would be something like
Excel Formula:
=$A12<>INDEX(MonthNames,MATCH($A11,MonthNames,0)+1)
The range with the month names is "MonthNames" in my example formula.

Upvote 0
Man this seems impossible because the copy and paste never start at the same month. Could start at July could start at Apr so then if you did the lists of month you would have to do that every time. Maybe if I phrase this different. If A12 has the month is there a way to put a formula in b13 that is the next month after A12. So A12 is July a formula in b13 to read Aug. Then in say column c if A13 doesn't match B13 it would return a false or true. Oh this is so confusing and you all are so smart I feel like a moron on here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back