IF and COUNTIF

Nanaia

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
This is one of those 'how do I say this' situations.
I need to pull data from a specific column but only if the adjacent cell has a value. For example, I need B25 in TAB2 to search column E in TAB1 and if it finds a cell with a value, pull the name from that adjacent cell in column F in TAB1. The catch is I need it to look at all of the columns and when it finds the next cell in column E in TAB1 that is not blank then pull in the name next to it. I hope this makes sense. I can't use the XL2BB program on this computer so I've attached a screenshot of an example of TAB1. Given this example, I need the results for B25 to display Name3 and B26 to display Name7.
It's one of those "I know there's a way but I just don't know how" scenarios - unless I'm wrong. And, since it's Monday, I could very well be wrong.
Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• TAB1.PNG
    TAB1.PNG
    4.4 KB · Views: 7

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
How about
Excel Formula:
=FILTER(Sheet1!F1:F100,Sheet1!E1:E100<>"")

Upvote 0
Solution
@Fluff and @steve the fish -- YOU GUYS ARE ROCK STARS! That works perfectly for the first row!! Thank you! ? Any suggestions on how to tweak it for the for the additional rows (Name7 and any others that show up)? The formula will need to be used in thirteen cells in the same column to pull up to thirteen names. When I copy the formula down it keeps providing only Name3. And when I fill all thirteen cells with the formula I get a #SPILL! error. I'm thinking an IFERROR added to the front will take care of the spill, but how do I resolve it picking the names correctly?

Upvote 0
Just put the formula in one cell & it will spill down.

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back