IF, AND, OR conditions in the same formula

FM1

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Column A = "Status". Values: Unassigned, In Progress, Rejected, Not Proceeding and Complete
Column B = "Date Closed". Values: Date

I need a statement where I get a 1 value when all the following conditions are met:

1. Date Closed is not blank
AND
2. Status = "In Progress" OR "Unassigned"

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Try
=IF(AND(LEN(B1)>0, OR(A1="In Progress",A1="Unassigned")), "1 value", "other")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How About:

=IF(AND(NOT(ISBLANK(B2)), OR(A2="Unassigned", A2="in progress")), 1, 0)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses everyone.

In C1:

=IF(AND(B1<>"",OR(A1="In Progress",A1="Unassigned")),1,0)

This has done the trick. Thanks!

To provide some context, I'm trying to implement some soft controls (conditional formats) whereby if the 'Date Closed' column is populated, then the 'Status' column should either be "Closed" or "Not Proceeding". If those conditions are not met, then I want to highlight a cell or have a prompt pop up requesting the user completes the form appropriately.

Is the approach I'm using (applying conditional formats based on the 1 or 0 values) the right way to do this?

Upvote 0
Maybe on A2 (or where ever your dates start) try going into conditional formatting on the home ribbon, highlight cells rule, equal to and try the formula =not(isblank(b2)) and drag the cell down?

Upvote 0
Maybe on A2 (or where ever your dates start) try going into conditional formatting on the home ribbon, highlight cells rule, equal to and try the formula =not(isblank(b2)) and drag the cell down?

It's ok for for the date field to be blank, if the status does not equal "Closed" or "Not Proceeding". So if the values are "In Progress" or "Unassigned", then it's fine for the 'Date Closed' column to be blank as the case hasn't been closed as yet.

Upvote 0
You can shorten that to:
Code:
=--AND(B1<>"",OR(A1="In Progress",A1="Unassigned"))
-- turns TRUE into 1 and FALSE into 0, which is the same as your IF statement output when true (1) or false (0)

Consider VLOOKUP(A1,B1:D10,2,FALSE) and VLOOKUP(A1,B1:D10,2,0) both will give the same answer

I'd use part of Mike's suggestion with:

Code:
=--AND(LEN(B1),ISNUMBER(SEARCH(A1,"In Progress|Unassigned")))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses everyone.

This has done the trick. Thanks!

To provide some context, I'm trying to implement some soft controls (conditional formats) whereby if the 'Date Closed' column is populated, then the 'Status' column should either be "Closed" or "Not Proceeding". If those conditions are not met, then I want to highlight a cell or have a prompt pop up requesting the user completes the form appropriately.
What you are looking for is DataValidation.
Select A1:B1 and enter this custom formula for DataValidaion =OR($A1="",OR($B1="closed",$B$1="not proceeding")) along with appropriate messages for error and/or cell entry.
Then copy that validation to the rest of columns A and B.

Upvote 0
What you are looking for is DataValidation.
Select A1:B1 and enter this custom formula for DataValidaion =OR($A1="",OR($B1="closed",$B$1="not proceeding")) along with appropriate messages for error and/or cell entry.
Then copy that validation to the rest of columns A and B.

This has worked really well. Thanks!

I'm not 100% sure if the data validation route will be ok with the people working on this sheet as sometimes they will need to be able to populate the data even if it is erroneous so hard controls might not be an option.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back