IF and ProductIF Functions

Megha1484

Hi,

I need help with this simple calculation in Excel that I am having difficulty with. I have tried couple of formulas so far and nothing is giving me the correct answer. The formulas are displayed in "MyProduct#1" and "MyProduct#2" columns.

So the "Original table" is what I am working with and the "Desired Table"(second table below the highlighted table) is what I am trying to accomplish.

The original table displays bunch of numbers and some of them are duplicates (highlighted in different colors), but their calc values are different.
I want to look for a match in Col A and, if found one multiply their calc values and display the final result in the "Correct Product" column.

For ex.. 123 is displayed 3 times but its calc value is different all three times, I want to look for corresponding calc values and multiply them.
so the end result for 123 should be 1*1*0 = 0 and that is what I want displayed in rows 4, 7, and 11.

I tried to using the Product(IF) and IF statements in Columns C and D, but none of them are displaying the correct results for me. The desired result is displayed in COl E.

Then I would like to come up with a table (Desired Table)that displays everything from "original table" with correct product and filters out duplicates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Here is the link to the excel file.

https://app.box.com/s/kp25drdrscz6x96298x3vf9gaqogpqnt

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Try:
This is an array formula and must be entered with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER.
Excel Workbook
ABCDE
1Original Table
2P#CalcMyProduct#1MyProduct#2CorrectProduct
15Desired Table
16P#CorrectProduct
Sheet

Upvote 0
Thanks for getting back to me! I Really appreciate your help. I should have mentioned it in my post that the Desired table does not exist. I would like to search for the duplicates in the Original Table itself.

The formula that I am using in my spreadsheet is =PRODUCT(IF($A$3:$A$11=A3,$B$3:$B$11)). I am looking for the duplicates in the Col A of Original Table and displaying results in MyProduct#2 (highlighted in red), but it is displaying 0s for all rows, which isn't correct.

What I am hoping to do is search for duplicates in Original table col A, multiply all Calc values and display the results in the next column.

Next step is to create a separate table (Desired Table) which would get rid of all duplicates and display the P# only once with correct product next to it.

I did use your suggested array formula and its giving me the same result, all 0s, not sure what I am doing wrong.

Original Table
P#CalcMyProduct#1MyProduct#2CorrectProduct
<colgroup><col width="102" style="width: 77pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3640;"> <col width="121" style="width: 91pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4295;"> <col width="109" style="width: 82pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3868;"> <col width="130" style="width: 98pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4636;"> <col width="125" style="width: 94pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4437;"> <tbody> </tbody>

Upvote 0
What should the correct value be in your red column and how did you (or would you get it)?
What is MyProduct#1, MyProduct#2 and CorrectProduct?

Upvote 0
Thanks for getting back to me and apologies for late response.

So, MYProduct#1 and MyProduct#2 are both mutiplications used in different ways.
MyProduct#1 =IF(A:A=A3,B3*B:B)
MyProdcut#2 =PRODUCT(IF($A$3:$A$11=A3,$B$3:$B$11))

CorrectProduct is what the correct answer should be.But both of the formulas mentioned above give me the wrong results.

Myabe IF and Product is not the way to go for this problem.

Here is what I am trying to do: I want to look for duplicates in #P , if found a match then either mutiply the corresponding values in Calc OR take the lowest value of the two and get rid of the other duplicate row.
so, for P# 456 = 1*0 = 0 OR it simply pick the lowest of the two P#456, which is 0 and eliminates the other row(P#456=1).

but if no duplicate found then leave the values as is. So for, P#961 it should be 1.

I hope this makes sense. Now that I think about it the second option sounds better than the first one. FInd duplicate, pick the lowest of two and eliminate the other one, and, if no match found then leave the row as is.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apwr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back