If and resources!!

darrenciccone

Board Regular
Does anyone have some resources or links to good information pertaining to IF AND STATEMENTS and what a typical argument entails, thank you!

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Google for xldic01.xls.

Guy called Peter Noneley has collated all the possible functions in XL and put them, with their definitions and how to use, in one handy excel spreadsheet.

Upvote 0
YES ! Excel help. Have you tried it ?

Your basic IF statement follows this pattern

IF something is true, do something, if not, do something else.

So, let's say you want to test if cell A1 contains the value 1, and if it DOES, return the text "OK", and if it DOESN'T, return whatever value is in cell B1.

Code:
=IF(A1=1,"OK",+B1)

And that is basically it for IF statements. You can make them much more complicated, but they are really all just elaborations of the above.
For example, you can nest two or more IF statements together, or you can make all the elements of the formula be formulas themselves, such as
Code:
=if(vlookup(a1,b1:c10,2,false)=(d1&e1),round(f1,0),sqrt(sum(g1:g10)))

As for AND statements, they follow this pattern -
Imagine you have more than one test that you want to do, and you want to test that ALL of the tests are true.
For example, you might want to test that A1=1 AND B1=1 AND C1=1.
Code:
=AND(a1=1,b1=1,c1=1)
will return TRUE if they are ALL = 1, and FALSE if one or more are NOT equal to 1.

You can combine AND statements with IF statements, like this
Code:
=IF(AND(a1=1,b1=1),"OK",+c1)

Similar tools include OR, and NOT

Upvote 0
Hmmmm MS HELP?? Does that actually work...lol...their help programs are not very helpful so I tend not to use them, this message board is much better! but thanks for the insight! I am not that n00bish to excel; I just need an advanced IF function if u would please see my post about it I would greatly appreciate it!

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356790

Upvote 0
Let's be clear, I said Excel help. It does give the basics about how the functions work.

I have had a look at that other thread, and the problem is so confusingly described, that I can't begin to understand exactly what you want. Sorry ! Can you try and explain more clearly on that thread ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitsomani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back