IF / COUNTIF / MATCH row reference

ScubaTig

The following formula lives in cell C1 on Sheet1:
=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet2!83:83,B1)>0,IF((MATCH(B1,Sheet2!83:83,0))<=5,B1,A1),A1)

It determines if B1 on Sheet1 occurs in the first five columns of row 83 on Sheet2 and returns A1 or B1 based on this logical argument.

On Sheet2, column A is an alphabetically sorted listed of names. Columns B thru J contain values associated with the names in column A.

In the above formula, the term "Sheet2!83:83" forces a reference to row 83 on Sheet2. How do I change this "forced" reference to use a name in Sheet1 cell A2 to find the corresponding row in Sheet2? In other words, I would like to input a name in cell A2 on Sheet1, find its match on Sheet2 column A and use that row instead of having "Sheet2!83:83" "hard coded" into the formula.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hi ScubaTig,

Try
Code:
=IF(COUNTIF(INDIRECT($A$2),B1)>0,IF((MATCH(B1,INDIRECT($A$2),0))<=5,B1,A1),A1)

Upvote 0
I can't get that to work. Doesn't look like anything in that formula tells it to look anywhere on Sheet2???

Upvote 0
What do you mean by:

"On Sheet2, column A is an alphabetically sorted listed of names. Columns B thru J contain values associated with the names in column A"?

Upvote 0
If I understand correctly what you want, maybe this formula can help you:

Code:
In C1

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(B1,INDEX(Sheet2!$B:$E,MATCH(A2,Sheet2!$A:$A,0),0),0)),A1,B1)

Markmzz

Upvote 0
How do I change this "forced" reference to use a name in Sheet1 cell A2 to find the corresponding row in Sheet2? In other words, I would like to input a name in cell A2 on Sheet1, find its match on Sheet2 column A and use that row instead of having "Sheet2!83:83" "hard coded" into the formula.
Hi ScubaTig,

From this statement I thought you would like to have a name defined in Sheet1!A2 (e.g. Sheet1!A2=table_rng where table_rng is the table name that you defined for let's say range Sheet2!A1:A83) Thus whenever range of table_rng changes, table_rng will follow and reflected in post#2 formula.

Upvote 0
exceldevs,
By "name" I actually meant something like a person's name in the data, not a range or reference name. Thanks for your help though.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back