If Date (range) Then (do this)

brouz

Hello,

I've googled for hours.. i need help with Fiscal Month subtotaling..actually, I'm trying to create a procedure (or function) that will identify the Fiscal month based on date range, enter the value in another column (ex. "APRIL"), that way i can subtotal by the new column. This is a 4-4-5 Calender, so i can't just identify the month of the date in each cell.

My dates are in Column E and Column D is blank (where i want to enter the Fiscal month.

Can anyone help me out?

Code:
Sub FiscalMonth()

Range("E2").Select

If Date >= DateSerial(2008, 3, 31) _
    And Date <= DateSerial(2008, 4, 26) _
    Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Formula = "=APRIL"

If Date >= DateSerial(2008, 4, 27) _
    And Date <= DateSerial(2008, 5, 24) _
    Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Formula = "=MAY"

End Sub

Thanks!!

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Welcome, brouz.

There are probably many ways to do this. A function in VBA might be very good. Very simple though might be to create a table on one worksheet with a list of dates in the first column and the fiscal month in the next column. Now use this lookup table. OK? Regards, Fazza

Upvote 0
Thank you, Fazza. I might do that. I want to see how that works. But, i would still like to get some vba hardcode that i can put on others computers to assign a date a "fiscal month."

I was playing with the below code. It is NOT working for me though... and, i was wondering if a Select Case method would be better?

Code:
Sub GetMonth()
    Dim iLastRow As Integer
    Dim iRow As Integer
    Dim x1 As Integer
    Dim y1 As Integer

x1 = DateSerial(2008, 3, 1)
    y1 = DateSerial(2008, 4, 26)
    On Error Resume Next

iLastRow = Cells(1, 4).End(xlDown).Row
        For iRow = 1 To iLastRow
            If Cells(iRow, 4) >= x1 And Cells(iRow, 1) < y1 Then
                Cells(iRow, 6) = "APRIL"
            ElseIf Cells(iRow, 4) >= x2 And Cells(iRow, 1) < y2 Then
                Cells(iRow, 6) = "MAY"
            End If
        Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
Good morning, brouz.

Below is an example of using 'select case'. Obviously the limiting dates are hard coded for year 2008. I did this per your first posting. In reality I assume you want something that was not specific to a single year. If the date ranges are fixed known numbers of weeks from a starting date, the coding could be simplified by determining the difference from the input date to a single start date, converting to weeks maybe and then returning the result. So using weeks instead of fixed calendar dates. Still I offer the code as an example of a UDF and of select case. Please take this example and modify to best suit your requirements.

The custom function is a very good approach & maybe best. The idea of a lookup sheet might still be OK, BTW. Just as another way. I mention this just for information. If you need this for a few people, write an add-in. The add-in is not visible so can have one worksheet with the lookup table.

Regards, Fazza

Code:
Function FiscalYear(InputDate) As Variant
  If IsDate(InputDate) Then
    Select Case CDate(InputDate)
      Case DateSerial(2008, 3, 31) To DateSerial(2008, 4, 26): FiscalYear = "APRIL"
      Case DateSerial(2008, 4, 27) To DateSerial(2008, 5, 24): FiscalYear = "MAY"
      Case Else: FiscalYear = CVErr(xlErrNA)
    End Select
  Else
    FiscalYear = CVErr(xlErrNA)
  End If
End Function

Upvote 0
Thank you *so* much for your help!! I used your code and it works perfect! this is exactly what i needed. I don't mind that 2008 is hardcoded. It will work all year ;)

Code:
Function FiscalYear(InputDate) As Variant
  If IsDate(InputDate) Then
    Select Case CDate(InputDate)

Case DateSerial(2007, 12, 30) To DateSerial(2008, 1, 26): FiscalYear = "January"
        Case DateSerial(2008, 1, 27) To DateSerial(2008, 2, 23): FiscalYear = "February"
        Case DateSerial(2008, 2, 24) To DateSerial(2008, 3, 29): FiscalYear = "March"
        Case DateSerial(2008, 3, 30) To DateSerial(2008, 4, 26): FiscalYear = "April"
        Case DateSerial(2008, 4, 27) To DateSerial(2008, 5, 24): FiscalYear = "May"
        Case DateSerial(2008, 5, 25) To DateSerial(2008, 6, 28): FiscalYear = "June"
        Case DateSerial(2008, 6, 29) To DateSerial(2008, 7, 26): FiscalYear = "July"
        Case DateSerial(2008, 7, 27) To DateSerial(2008, 8, 23): FiscalYear = "August"
        Case DateSerial(2008, 8, 24) To DateSerial(2008, 9, 27): FiscalYear = "September"
        Case DateSerial(2008, 9, 28) To DateSerial(2008, 10, 25): FiscalYear = "October"
        Case DateSerial(2008, 10, 26) To DateSerial(2008, 11, 22): FiscalYear = "November"
        Case DateSerial(2008, 11, 23) To DateSerial(2008, 12, 27): FiscalYear = "December"

Case Else: FiscalYear = CVErr(xlErrNA)
    End Select
  Else
    FiscalYear = CVErr(xlErrNA)
  End If
End Function

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back