If Error Match Formula problem

joshie78

Hi, below is my formula I have that is working for a spreadsheet. It is pulling data based on a match from a different worksheet and sending back the correct data.

Example, if I drop in a budget into excel on one sheet, then on another sheet put in a drop down bar that changes the month of the year it automatically pulls in my detail budget from the referenced month.

My problem is that in two separate categories I have the same description, but different GL.

GLDescriptionActualBudget
50460Locks & Keys50500
50350Locks & Keys50300

<tbody>
</tbody>

My problem is that my formula is referencing the name to match and not to GL, but when I change it to match the GL it doesn't work.

=IFERROR(INDEX('Budget Drop'!$B$4:$AZ$499,MATCH(B81,'Budget Drop'!$B$4:$B$499,0),MATCH($A$2,'Budget Drop'!$B$3:$AZ$3,0)),0)

So, because I have two separate GL's with the same name, it won't automatically drop in the budget amount because it doesn't know which one to pull.

I hope this makes sense and I hope you can help! :)

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Well, currently it is pulling the budget amount based on the description but because I have the same description it won't pull, but it won't work when I try to look it up by GL.

Upvote 0
Well, currently it is pulling the budget amount based on the description but because I have the same description it won't pull, but it won't work when I try to look it up by GL.

Let A1:D3 house the sample you posted.

E1: 50460

F1:

=VLOOKUP($E1,A:D,MATCH("budget",INDEX(A:D,1,0),0)

would return the budget value.

Upvote 0
Your formula is looking for the description in 'Budget Drop'!$B$4:$B$499 -- right?
Do you have a column with GL numbers in sheet 'Budget Drop'? If yes, are the column entries actually numbers on number-looking text strings?

Upvote 0
Yes my GL is in column A on where I drop my budget into the worksheet and is a number 50460. Will it only reference text?

Upvote 0
Yes my GL is in column A...
Then I guess you formula should be:

=IFERROR(INDEX('Budget Drop'!$B$4:$AZ$499,MATCH(A81,'Budget Drop'!$A$4:$A$499,0),MATCH($A$2,'Budget Drop'!$B$3:$AZ$3,0)),0)

... Will it only reference text?
No, but please make sure entries in A81 and in 'Budget Drop'!$A$4:$A$499 are of the same kind -- say only actual numbers. Or only text strings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back