If form button exists then

cmefly

hi,

is there a vba code to determine if a form button exists on a certain worksheet?

Regards,

Marc

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
You can check through shapes. Note, this would go in the particular sheet's module, as I used Me.

Rich (BB code):
Sub exampleShapes()
Dim shp As Shape

For Each shp In Me.Shapes
        MsgBox TypeName(shp.OLEFormat.Object) & vbTab & shp.OLEFormat.Object.Name
    Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
GTO's script is best, however you could use the following if you want to do a process if it exists.

Code:
Sub Test()
On Error GoTo err2
ActiveSheet.Shapes("Button 1").Select
MsgBox "Button Exists"
Exit Sub

err2:
 MsgBox "Button Doesn't Exist"
End Sub

Upvote 0
GTO's script is best, however you could use the following if you want to do a process if it exists.

Hi both,

Actually I like Jay's better as to not looping through all the shapes :)

I would mention that selecting the shape is not necessary. We could just attempt to set a reference to the shape. That way, if we find it, we can do "stuff" with it.

Rich (BB code):
Option Explicit

Sub example()
Dim myButton As Button
Dim wks As Worksheet

For Each wks In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
        Set myButton = Nothing
        On Error Resume Next
        Set myButton = wks.Buttons("Button 1")
        On Error GoTo 0

If Not myButton Is Nothing Then
            myButton.Caption = "Here I am!"
            myButton.OnAction = "TestSub"
            Exit For
        End If
    Next
End Sub

Sub TestSub()
    MsgBox "Hello"
End Sub

Hope that helps,

Mark

Upvote 0
GTO, both my script and your latest script will not work in 2010, tested it on my work operating system which says that it is 2002 and they work fine.

Upvote 0
GTO, both my script and your latest script will not work in 2010, tested it on my work operating system which says that it is 2002 and they work fine.

Hi Jay,

Just so I understand, you are saying that the scripts don't work in Excel 2010. When you say "my work operating system", are you saying that you have Excel 2002 or a different OS?

I don't have Excel 2010 available until tomorrow to test (I'm at home, where I still have rusty/dusty Excel 2000).

Presuming you stuck the code in a Standard Module and saved the file as .xls (or .xlsm), does it error any place or not recognize Button as a valid type?

Mark

Upvote 0
I have 2 operating systems on one PC as my work runs it's stand alone software system with windows which is 2002 and my normal operating system is 2010

In 2010 for your script it bugs out on the following if the button doesn't exist.

Code:
Set myButton = wks.Buttons("Button 1")

Error - method of object buttons of worksheet failed.

Upvote 0
Thanks for checking Jay. I am presuming that you included the Resume Next and ...GoTo 0 lines, as you had an error handler in yours as well, and say that this fouls as well. I think it may be your settings in Excel 2010.

In VBIDE, go to the menubar, Tools|Options, select the General tab. In the Error Trapping section, see if 'Break on All Errors' is ticked. If yes, change to 'Break on Unhandled Errors'.

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi GTO,

I set the error handler to break on unhandled errors previously, for some reason it had changed back to break on all errors.

It now works fine.

Thanks for that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeymonster123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back