IF formula based on a bolded cell

Armand2706

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

Is there a formula I can write to have an IF statement based on the fact that a cell is bold? For example, I'm trying to calculate the variance between two numbers only if the cell is not bold. I'm working with comparative year financial data (balance sheet/ income statement), which show a variance (between the two years' results) on the totals (for example, total asset, liability). Those totals are bolded. So I'm trying to find a formula that I can drag that would say .. If text/numbers is/are bold, no variance calculation, and if the text/numbers is/are not bold, then perform the variance calculation. I'm including an example (as a screenshot) as it's probably easier to understand what I'm trying to figure out by looking at this screenshot.
Thank you for your help! :)

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Hi,

Is there a formula I can write to have an IF statement based on the fact that a cell is bold? For example, I'm trying to calculate the variance between two numbers only if the cell is not bold. I'm working with comparative year financial data (balance sheet/ income statement), which show a variance (between the two years' results) on the totals (for example, total asset, liability). Those totals are bolded. So I'm trying to find a formula that I can drag that would say .. If text/numbers is/are bold, no variance calculation, and if the text/numbers is/are not bold, then perform the variance calculation. I'm including an example (as a screenshot) as it's probably easier to understand what I'm trying to figure out by looking at this screenshot.
Thank you for your help! :)
Forgot to add the screenshot..

Attachments

• Example.png
    Example.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0
This will work if you make only col A entries of "Total Assets" bold.
Book1
ABCD
120222021Var
2Cost10043-57
3Accts Rec21332-181
4Fixed Asset459100-359
5Total Assets772175 
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2:D5D2=IF(A2="Total Assets","",C2-B2)
B5:C5B5=SUM(B2:B4)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back