IF Formula Creating Hyperlink In More Cases Than I Want

FrankNJohnson

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Friends:

I'm currently using Excel 2013 for Windows and trying to arrive at a formula which will create a hyperlinked web page reference in one branch of a formula but not in another. The spreadsheet on which I'm working is meant to allow folks at our company to enter a product's sku number for one brand in Column A, and then have formulas return the equivalent sku number for a different brand in Column B, the product's title in Column C, and a link to the product's page on our website in Column D (there are subsequent columns which create links to the product's page on other websites). Here is a screenshot of the relevant portion of my spreadsheet (sorry, my company's IT department would frown on me installing the XL2BB add-in, otherwise I would do it that way):

072122-mrexcelforum-question.png

The formula in cell D8 is as follows:
VBA Code:
=IF(A8="","",IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A8,invweb,47,0))=TRUE,"",IF(VLOOKUP(A8,invweb,47,0)=0,"No Fry ID",HYPERLINK(CONCATENATE("https://www.telescope.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=",VLOOKUP(A8,invweb,47,0))))))

If I enter a sku in Cell A8 that has a value of zero in column 47 (for the row of the sku that is entered) of the invweb table, everything works fine - it returns "No Fry ID' and the cell is not hyperlinked to anything. You can see that in the screenshot in Row 8.

If I enter a sku in Cell A8 that has a corresponding value other than blank or zero in column 47, then everything works perfectly. You can see that in the screenshot in Row 9. The hyperlink to the product page is created correctly.

But if I subsequently enter a sku in Cell A8 that has a value of zero in column 47, it returns a value of "No Fry ID" but the cell is hyperlinked to a non-existent web page (and so returns an error). You can see that in the screenshot in Row 10 (I had previously entered a different sku in Cell A10 that had a non-zero value in column 47).

Is there a way to write a formula (or perhaps format the cell?) so that the hyperlinked state is not maintained but depends completely on what is returned by the formula?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer - it's much appreciated!

Attachments

• 072122-mrexcelforum-question.png
    072122-mrexcelforum-question.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 4

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Ooops! Should have posted the code as an Excel formula:

Excel Formula:
=IF(A8="","",IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A8,invweb,115,0))=TRUE,"",IF(VLOOKUP(A8,invweb,115,0)=0,"No Fry ID",HYPERLINK(CONCATENATE("https://www.binoculars.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=",VLOOKUP(A8,invweb,115,0))))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottdog129

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back