IF Formula in addition to adding all rows

yeshua68

Hello,

I have 41 task list steps and a data validation list that states whether it's Completed, In Progress or Not Completed. I'd like to created a progress bar showing the % completed for all 41 steps. I'm assuming I will need a nested IF statement and then either conditional formatting or a bar chart to create the progress tracker.

What is the nested IF statement that would state that Completed is 100%, In Progress is 50% and Not Completed is 0% and then ALSO adds all 41 rows up based on that criteria so that I have a progress tracker bar that shows where we are to completion? I hope that makes sense. Several people will be using this spreadsheet so I am trying to make it user friendly and not have an additional column that sums each one up in case additional steps/rows are added to our process.

Attachments

• Tracker Bar.JPG
    Tracker Bar.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 10

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
EDIT - not sure wjhy that has not shown on XL2BB

added to dropbox

here

are you happy to have the % value in the merged cell - if so then a conditional formatting gradient would work

I'm not sure how to use gradient fill refering to a different cell - i think it maybe a limitation , reading various articles , BUT i may be WRONG

if happy for the value to be in the cell
then

Book2
ABCDE
333%
7completed
9completed
11completed
13completed
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A3A3=COUNTIF($E$4:$E$16,"completed")/12
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
A3:E3Other TypeDataBarNO

Note: Images are difficult to see , and also requires that I input all the data myself, which is very time consuming.

A SMALL sample spreadsheet, around 10-20 rows, would help a lot here, with all sensitive data removed, and expected results mocked up and manually entered, with a few notes of explanation.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data and will allow us to copy/paste your sample data into our Excel spreadsheets, saving a lot of time.

You can also test to see if it works ok, in the "Test Here" forum.

OR if you cannot get XL2BB to work, or have restrictions on your PC , then put the sample spreadsheet onto a share
I only tend to goto OneDrive, Dropbox or google docs , as I'm never certain of other random share sites and possible virus.
Please make sure you have a representative data sample and also that the data has been desensitised, remember this site is open to anyone with internet access to see - so any sensitive / personal data should be removed

Upvote 0
Hi! I used your Countif formula and was able to get a progress bar with conditional formatting. One last question, my conditional formatting is giving me a gradient bar based on 0% - 100%. I'd like it to include text but can't seem to find a way to add that in to the merged cells where the conditional formatting is. If I add in a formula that includes text the conditional formatting doesn't work and the bar disappears. I'd like the conditional formatting merged cell to say 50% COMPLETED or wherever we are at in the task completed process. Thank you for your help!

Upvote 0
i have tried a formula MIN with the left() to extract just the value - but that cannot be used in this type of data scale
so not sure how to exclude completed
and the gradient will not work unless there is a number 0-1 (percent 0 to 100%)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back