IF formula Issues

Harvey12

Board Regular
Hi All,

I have created a vlookup which looks to pull data from a separate file to the one that the lookup is contained within.

This file has two categories 'Service Manuals' and 'Operator Manuals'. What I am looking to do is rather than use separate tabs for each one, since the format is all exactly the same I want to combine the two.

This may all sound a little confusing so I will try to elaborate. So I want the lookup to look at the part number in question and first look into the other sheet and find pull back model information for Service manuals, if that part number doesn't exist in service manuals (it must be an operator manual) I need it to look in a different tab at operator manuals. How can this be done?

Here is the current lookup I use for SERVICE MANUALS: I need this same formula to then be able to look into a separate tab in the worksheet below(Publicat) to pull back op manual data if not a service manual.
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A20,[Publicat.xls]Service!$C:$G,5,FALSE),"RESERVED - Not Translated")

Can someone please assist.

Many thanks
Harvey

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Try this:

=IFERROR(IFERROR(VLOOKUP(A20,[Publicat.xls]Service!$C:$G,5,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A20,[Publicat.xls]Operator!$C:$G,5,FALSE)),"RESERVED - Not Translated")

Upvote 0
Steve: Why did you use IFERROR "two times" in the formula...?

Upvote 0
serviceoperator
1text12tttext1
2text23tttext2
5text34tttext3
6text45tttext4
8text56tttext5
9text67tttext6
8tttext7
9tttext8
10tttext9
select a part number10
does it exist in service ?no
does it exist in operator ?yes
service
simple formulas detect if part number
is in either or both lists
and then use the "yes" or "no" generated
to pull out the words from the manuals
operatortttext9
would this approach suit ?

<colgroup><col span="2"><col><col><col span="10"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
The number "10" you mentioned in above is also the part of "part number" or it belongs to a serial number...?

Upvote 0
The first IFERROR will use the 'operator' sheet should the lookup value not be found in the 'service' sheet. The 2nd IFERROR will produce the text statement 'RESERVED - Not Translated' should the lookup value not be found in either sheet (ie both lookups fail)

Upvote 0
Hhmmm... I'll check this and let you know the outcome :) Many thanks for your explanation...

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

In addition to the above - inside that file those manuals (Service / Operator) Can be translated into 33 different languages(not all languages are available for all manuals). As stated each manual has a specific serial number. I need a further if statement to add to the beginning of that to look inside that file at the column named 'Available' to see if that language is available - if it is I need the formula to bring back that specific serial number for that manual. I will explain:

So in file 1 Call it the 'Summary' file. That currently uses this formula to find a part number: =IFERROR(LEFT($C$4,FIND("-",$C$4)-1),"N/a") which looks in file 2 call it 'raw data file'. Then the formula which you helped me with above is used to look at that part number and pull back product information using the formula you stated.

What I need is the formula that uses a part number above (=IFERROR(LEFT($C$4,FIND("-",$C$4)-1),"N/a") ) to look at which languages are available for that specific part number (Part number is in column C and availability of language is in column K). Column K contains specific values in this case they are either 'Available' Or 'No'. So the formula will need to be able to distinguish between the two and then if it is available it needs to pull the specific part number for that language and put that in the column in file 1 where the formula is written.

If this doesn't make much sense please allow me the chance to try to explain further it is hard to explain and since the files are confidential I cannot attach them.

Many thanks
Harvey

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back