sjwhitaker

I am sure the title doesn't help what I am having problems with, but was drawing a blank on what to put. ANYWAY! I am working on an IF Formula to do different things if different cells are True or False. This is what I have so far

=IF(B4:B6=FALSE,SUM(E3:E6),IF(B5:B6=FALSE,SUM(E3+E5),IF(B6=FALSE,SUM(E3+(E6/3)))))

1st Part - B4 to B6 will either read a name or FALSE, so if they are FALSE, I want to sum the values in E3 to E6

2nd Part - B5 to B6 will either read a name or FALSE, so if they are FALSE, I want the sum of E3 and E5

3rd Part - B6 will either read a name or FALSE, so if it is False I want to divide E6 by 3 and add that to E3

This is for placing earnings sheet, there will be 4 places that will pay, but it may not have 4 people, so I want to modify the winnings to accomidate how many people there actually are.

Hope that all makes sense!!!:eek:

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Going to need a bit more info

In part 1 do all cells in B4:B6 have to be false or only 1 of them

What do you want to happen if there are no FALSEs in each case

Upvote 0
I think your existing formula will do what you want, it's just how you enter it.
Each of these logical tests is checking an array: B4:B6=FALSE - 3 different cells.
To use an array formula, take the cell your existing formula is in, click on it, click in the formula bar, and then hit ctrl + shift + enter to confirm. If done successfully it will add the brackets like:

Code:
{=IF(B4:B6=FALSE,SUM(E3:E6),IF(B5:B6=FALSE,SUM(E3+E5),IF(B6=FALSE,SUM(E3+(E6/3)))))}

any time you change the formula, you'll need to confirm in the same way.

Upvote 0
In Part 1, yes all cells would need to be False.
If Part 1 were False, then it would move to part 2, if part 2 was false then it would move to part 3 and if part 3 were false (forgot to have this in it, then it would equal E3)

Upvote 0
I think your existing formula will do what you want, it's just how you enter it.
Each of these logical tests is checking an array: B4:B6=FALSE - 3 different cells.
To use an array formula, take the cell your existing formula is in, click on it, click in the formula bar, and then hit ctrl + shift + enter to confirm. If done successfully it will add the brackets like:

Code:
{=IF(B4:B6=FALSE,SUM(E3:E6),IF(B5:B6=FALSE,SUM(E3+E5),IF(B6=FALSE,SUM(E3+(E6/3)))))}

any time you change the formula, you'll need to confirm in the same way.

That worked!! Ok, now if I want it to equal E3 when all are FALSE, how would I write that?

Upvote 0
Perhaps this would be better: This is a regular formula, not an array:

=IF(AND(B4=FALSE,B5=FALSE,B6=FALSE),E3,IF(AND(B5=FALSE,B6=FALSE),SUM(E3:E5),IF(B6=FALSE,SUM(E3+(E6/3)))))

What it doesn't take into account is if all have a name. Just enter that case here:

=IF(AND(B4=FALSE,B5=FALSE,B6=FALSE),E3,IF(AND(B5=FALSE,B6=FALSE),SUM(E3:E5),IF(B6=FALSE,SUM(E3+(E6/3)),"All contain text")))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back