IF formula won't read criterion cell

excellenfant

Hello,

I have an if formula, if('sheetA'!D7<0,abs('sheetA'!D7),0). The value in the criterion cell is substantially lower than 0. Nevertheless, the if formula doesn't return the absolute value. No error code shows. The formula does not show as text. Just in case, I checked the formats anyway.

This is part of a pro forma model for class with an automatic drawdown on a revolver. I have automatic calculations enabled, as well as iterative calculations (up to 100).

Any thoughts?

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
I have automatic calculations enabled, as well as iterative calculations (up to 100).
Having intentional circular references can cause strange issues.
It really is best to avoid them, and come up with an alternate solution for whatever task that seems to require them.

You never answered my questions?

Welcome to the board.

You said it doesn't return the absolute value.
What result DOES the formula give?

What does this return
=ISNUMBER('sheetA'!D7)

?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have merged your two threads together.

In the future, please do not post the same question multiple times. All clarifications, directly-related follow-ups, and bumps should be posted back to the original thread. Per forum rules, posts of a duplicate nature will be locked or deleted (rule #12 here: Forum Rules).

Upvote 0
chicagocomputerclasses, these cells don't contain circular references, though the model does.

Aladin, didn't know you needed the number. =Sheet returns $2,492,246, the same value produced by the formula in D7. Sign returns 1.

Upvote 0
chicagocomputerclasses, these cells don't contain circular references, though the model does.

Aladin, didn't know you needed the number. =Sheet returns $2,492,246, the same value produced by the formula in D7. Sign returns 1.

If that is the case, D7 is not less than 0, consequently you should get 0 as result given the formula you have.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I gave that number as an example as I have continued playing around with the model, trying to get it to work. When the number is negative, the if formula does not read it. For example, if I manipulate D7 to be -$1,000,000, the if formula still doesn't read it. And, in that instance, =Sheet returns 2, even though the sheet containing D7 is the first sheet in the book.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back