IF Formula

singingsister

Board Regular
I have a spreadsheet with lots of sheets on and I need to do a formula which adds up certain text within each sheet.

IE, I want to total up all the lines with the word "draft" in the cell on all the sheets. I know how to use the "IF" formula when the cells are on the same sheet, but don't know how to apply it over multiple sheets.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Hi SingingSister

Can you be a little more precise? It would be extremely helpful if you list the sheet names and exactly which cells hold the criteria you are looking for and which cells hold the values you want to sum (eg Sheet2!A1 etc). Thanks

Richard

Upvote 0
It's the word "draft" on all sheets bar 2 (one is index sheet and one is stats sheet) and it's always in Column C.

The sheet names are names of companies.

Upvote 0
In simple terms, you refer to cells on other sheets as Sheet Name followed by exclamation point then the address of the cell. so =Sheet2!A1 will place the value of that cell wherever the formula resides. For your "draft" count it sounds like you'd want to use the countif function.

=countif(Sheet2!A1:L50,"=draft")+countif(Sheet3!A1:L50,"=draft") gives you a count of draft in A1:L50 for two sheets. I now see you've added some info to another post on where this info resides.

Upvote 0
one slight problem...

one of the sheets is called A Decisions (supplier name), but when I put this in as the sheet name in the formula, it comes up with a box called "update values: decisions".

Why?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back