IF Formula

Mahsun23

Hi there,

Is it possible to make an IF formula where the value of the cell is linked to another cell if TRUE, but the value doesn't change anymore if FALSE. In other words the cell should keep the latest value if FALSE.

Regards

Mahsun :cool:

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Hi there,

Is it possible to make an IF formula where the value of the cell is linked to another cell if TRUE, but the value doesn't change anymore if FALSE. In other words the cell should keep the latest value if FALSE.

Regards

Mahsun :cool:
Mahsun23

Welcome to the Mr Excel board!

It sounds like you are trying to ask if a cell can contain both a formula and a value. If that is the case, then the answer is "no". However, a VBA solution may be possible.

Can you try to explain the problem again using specific cell references, specific values and specific formulas?

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

thanks for replying

It is a simple formula: =IF(C8=U8,(C8/D8-1),?)

C8 en U8 are begin values. D8 is a current value. If the begin value changes, I would like this formula to stop working and keep the latest value.

maybe there is another solution?

regards

Upvote 0
OK, so in W8 if C8 is not equal to U8 you want whatever was already in W8? If this is not correct, what do you want in W8 if C8 is not equal to U8?

Upvote 0
"In W8 if C8 is not equal to U8 you want whatever was already in W8"

Exactly !!!

Do I want something impossible?

regards

Upvote 0
"In W8 if C8 is not equal to U8 you want whatever was already in W8"

Exactly !!!

Do I want something impossible?

regards
This is not possible with a standard Excel formula. It is possible with VBA if you want to go down that road. I am about to sign off for now but I will have a look tomorrow to see if you are needing more help.

Upvote 0
You will break to new grounds if you can solve this problem. In my opinion it would be revolutionary. :biggrin:

I will be online tomorrow as well.

Regards

Mahsun

Upvote 0
Mahsun23

I am not certain this will do exactly what you want but give it a try. First I suggest you make a backup of your file.

1. Right click the sheet tab and choose 'View Code'. This will display the VBA window.
2. Copy the code below and paste it in the large white pane at the right of the VBA window.
3. Close the VBA window, return to your sheet and try changing some values.

If it does not do what you expect, report back with as much detail as possible.

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Change(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)
    Columns("IV").EntireColumn.Hidden = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN>
    Application.EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Range("C8").Value <> Range("U8").Value <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN>
        Range("W8").Value = Range("IV8").Value
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Else</SPAN>
        Range("W8").Formula = "=C8/D8 - 1"
        Range("IV8").Value = Range("W8").Value
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN>
    Application.EnableEvents = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back