IF Function with some randomization!!!

LukeB11

This is my function =if(A1=1,"+",if(A1=2,"-")), this function would be in cell B2. Now the problem is if A1 is neither 1 or 2 then FALSE appears in cell B2. so how do i fix it so that FALSE won't appear in cell B2 if neither 1 or 2 is in cell A1.

Also in that same function I would like to add another option, for example: if A1=3 then i would like Excel to randomly choose between either the + or - sign to appear in cell B2. I've been stuck on this for awhile and any help would be appreciated! :)

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
One way:

=IF(MEDIAN(1, A1, 3) <> A1, "", CHOOSE(A1,"+", "-", MID("+-", RANDBETWEEN(1,2), 1)))

Upvote 0
This is my function =if(A1=1,"+",if(A1=2,"-")), this function would be in cell B2. Now the problem is if A1 is neither 1 or 2 then FALSE appears in cell B2. so how do i fix it so that FALSE won't appear in cell B2 if neither 1 or 2 is in cell A1.

To begin with, you have to specify what you do want to see in that case instead of FALSE. How about nothing?

=IF(A1=1,"+",IF(A1=2,"-",""))

The double double-quotes is the null string. It appears blank. But note: ISBLANK(B2) will return FALSE because ISBLANK is a misnomer. It should be called ISEMPTY (no constant and no formula).

Also in that same function I would like to add another option, for example: if A1=3 then i would like Excel to randomly choose between either the + or - sign to appear in cell B2.

=IF(A1=1,"+",IF(A1=2,"-",IF(A1=3,IF(RAND()<50%,"+","-"),"")))

That says: if A1=3, display "+" 50% of the time, otherwise "-". Change 50% to whatever probability you want.

But be careful what you wish for! If A1=3, note that B2 might change every time any cell in any worksheet is edited, as well as other times that causes a recalculation. (For example, deleting a worksheet; but not adding a worksheet.)

Upvote 0
Ok but if I want to add two more symbols "x" and "/" then I would go like this =IF(A1=1,"+",IF(A1=2,"-",IF(A1=3,"x",IF(A1=4,"/",IF(A1=5,IF(RAND()<50%,"+","-"),"")))))
but how would I include the "x" and "/" to the RAND??

Upvote 0
Ok but if I want to add two more symbols "x" and "/" then I would go like this =IF(A1=1,"+",IF(A1=2,"-",IF(A1=3,"x",IF(A1=4,"/",IF(A1=5,IF(RAND()<50%,"+","-"),"")))))
but how would I include the "x" and "/" to the RAND??

First, it would be ideal if you can depend on A1 having only certain "expected" values, let's say 0 (or empty) through 5. Then you can avoid the nested IFs as follows:

Rich (BB code):
=CHOOSE(A1+1,"","+","-","x","/",LOOKUP(RAND(),{0,0.25,0.50,0.75},{"+","-","x","/"}))

Note the curly braces around the lookup lists 0,0.25,etc and "+","-",etc. They might be difficult to read with your font.

Change 0.25 (25%), 0.50 (50%) and 0.75 (75%) to the desired probability distribution. Note that we must write 0.25 instead of 25% between curly braces (an array constant).

If you cannot depend on A1 having the expected values, you might write:

Rich (BB code):
=IF(OR(A1<1,A1>5),"",CHOOSE(A1,"+","-","x","/",LOOKUP(RAND(),{0,0.25,0.50,0.75},{"+","-","x","/"})))

Note the subtle change in the first two CHOOSE parameters.

Upvote 0
If you cannot depend on A1 having the expected values, you might write:
Rich (BB code):
=IF(OR(A1<1,A1>5),"",CHOOSE(A1,"+","-","x","/",LOOKUP(RAND(),{0,0.25,0.50,0.75},{"+","-","x","/"})))

Alternatively:

Rich (BB code):
=IF(OR(A1<1,A1>5),"",MID("+-x/",IF(A1<5,A1,MATCH(RAND(),{0,0.25,0.50,0.75})),1))

It is easier to maintain since the list of operators is specified only once.

PS: If you wish, you can replace OR(A1<1,A1>5) with the MEDIAN(1,A1,5)<>A1 trick that shg demonstrated. But I think the OR() function is easier to understand and modify, if the need arises.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TS_711

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back