if I apply a formula to a calculated field in pivot table, is that DAX or excel function?

INN

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi I have a pivot table (Rows = dept name, Values = Salary). I want to insert another inside Values box to show rounded salaries. So under pivot analyze, I click field-->Insert Calculated Field., the wrote this formula

= MROUND(Salary,1000)

Everything is right. I wonder what is this Mround() function? Is it excel function or it is DAX function. Can I use any function with calculated field? Thank you very much.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
If you can add a calculated field, it is a standard pivot and the formula is a standard excel function.

Mround lets you round to the multiple of any number. If the number you are rounding to is a multiple of 10 which 1000 is, you would often use Round(Salary,-3) instead.

You can use most Excel functions but keep in mind that you can only reference data from the columns used in the pivot table and it will only apply to the cells in those columns that are on the same row.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. This article is saying that only SUM function can be used for calculated field:
"Sum is the only function available for a calculated field."
Is that right?

Article link

Upvote 0
Interesting, I have not taken much notice of that before.
The below is a really bad example in that multiplying Qty x Price in a pivot is mathematically incorrect and a really bad idea but it illustrates the point.

In a standard Pivot Table (as opposed to using Power Pivot and DAX), when you create the calculated field, you only get an option of picking the fields.
You don't get an option of picking whether you are using the Sum of that field or the Average of the field or the Max or anything else of that field.
One might assume from that it will use the method applied to that field in the Pivot. This is not the case. The calculation will assume that you will be summing the fields used in the calculation.

So in the below the left table uses summarisation methods other than Sum but the result of the calculated field is the same as when the fields are using the Sum method of summarisation. You can test the calculation to prove that Sum is what is being used for the calculated field in both cases.

1667172595462.png

1667172510002.png

Reactions: INN
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back