IF(ISERROR((GETPIVOTDATA) won't show any value once pivot table is updated with new information

jessitarexcel

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
  3. Web
I had a look through the forums but could not find a solution to this issue.

I have a series of worksheets with data being entered and changed on a daily basis. That data is collated into a single sheet as a summary. Some of the information is not currently available in the data and therefore the pivot tables. I have this formula in the cells that contain reference data: =GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","Reference Area","Type of Residence","House"). If I have data for the reference area with the residence type house, it obviously returns the number. In the other cells, I would like to refer to the other residence types that don't appear as yet.

Example Table below:

Reference Area - House=GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","Reference Area","Type of Residence","House")2
Reference Area - Unit=GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","Reference Area","Type of Residence","Unit")#REF!
Reference Area - Boat=GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","Reference Area","Type of Residence","Boat")
#REF!
Reference Area - Caravan=GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","Reference Area","Type of Residence","Caravan")#REF!

As there are only houses in the data so far, I am getting a #REF! area in the cells for the other residence types.

I then tried adding in ISERROR((=GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","Reference Area","Type of Residence","Caravan")) - which returns a true or false value and that allows the cells to be added up properly with the true being counted as a 0.

To show the result as a 0 instead of true, I added in =IF(ISERROR((GETPIVOTDATA("Type of Residence",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","Reference Area","Type of Residence","Boat"))),0,0), the result shows up as 0, but if I actually enter in a caravan as a test into the data, the pivot table shows the caravan, but the formula won't pick it up.

Is there anyway to keep the formula in the cell without it showing true or false but it will still update once the data has been entered? Any assistance is sincerely appreciated.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Any reason you are not using IfError ?
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","Reference Area","Type of Residence","Caravan"),"")

Upvote 0
Morning Alex, I have tried the IFERROR example you have provided above. The value now updates from the pivot table with the entry of new pivot table data, however, there is still no data showing:

Formula Used: =IFERROR((GETPIVOTDATA("Type of Residence",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","Redland City Council","Type of Residence","Boat")),"")

Reference Area - Boat
Reference Area - CaravanThis should show a 1 but it appears blank in my table using this formula =IFERROR((GETPIVOTDATA("Type of Residence",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","Reference Area","Type of Residence","Caravan")),"")
Reference Area - House2This formula is the standard one used =GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","Reference Area","Type of Residence","House")
Reference Area - Unit
Reference Area - Total Applications3The total is adding in the one caravan that I added as a test, but it won't display.

I have turned off the Show a Zero in cells that have a zero value in the Advanced Options in Excel. I have checked other formatting issues. Do you know why the value is not showing in the table?

Upvote 0
Are you using an Excel table and are you using that table name as the data source for your pivot ?
If not I would recommend adopting that approach. If not have you extended the Pivot's data source to include all the rows.
If you don't have any Caravan lines, can you put in a dummy one and after making sure of the above refresh the table.

If the formula then still doesn't return the value can you recreate the getpivot formula, it only takes a few seconds to do.
Can you post an XL2BB of where you have the getpivot formulas.
Ideally also an XL2BB of you Pivot (or part thereof)
Alternatively a desensitised version of your workbook on a sharing platform ie google drive, dropbox etc

MS 365 should be no different in terms of the GetPivotData functionality.

Upvote 0
Hello Alex,

To answer your questions:
Are you using an Excel table and are you using that table name as the data source for your pivot? Yes, I always create tables and name them and then refer to the named Table in the Pivot Table. The Pivot Tables are located in the same document as the summary table but they are on separate tabs.

If not have you extended the Pivot's data source to include all the rows. My pivot table refers to the whole table and all of the data is contained within that table. There are no extra rows or columns included that aren't within the table range.

If you don't have any Caravan lines, can you put in a dummy one and after making sure of the above refresh the table. - I did enter a test which is how I discovered the issue. I put in one caravan and then refreshed the pivot table. I could see the caravan in the actual pivot table but I couldn't see it on the table that references it.

If the formula then still doesn't return the value can you recreate the getpivot formula, it only takes a few seconds to do. I will try recreating them this morning - that might solve the issue.

This is the Pivot Table below - stored on a separate tab:

BNE Tracker.xlsx
ABACAD
3LGAType of ResidenceCount of LGA
4BCCBoat10
5Caravan2
6House104
7Unit/Townhouse11
8BCC Total127
9MBRCHouse1
10MBRC Total1
11RCCCaravan1
12House2
13RCC Total3
14(blank)(blank)
15(blank) Total
16Grand Total131
SAG Pivot Tables - Locked

And this is the table that presents the data on a summary dashboard page - as you can see I have entered in a caravan test as the number has increased to 3, however, it won't show one in that cell for RCC Caravan.

BNE Tracker.xlsx
BC
78Key Figure Breakdown - LGA & Property Type
80Summary InformationTotals
81BCC Boat10
82BCC Caravan2
83BCC House104
84BCC Unit/Townhouse11
85BCC Total Applications127
86RCC Boat 
87RCC Caravan 
88RCC House2
89RCC Unit/Townhouse 
90RCC Total Applications3
91MBRC Boat 
92MBRC Caravan 
93MBRC House 
94MBRC Unit/Townhouse 
95MBRC Total Applications1
SAG Overview

Upvote 0
It is quite a bizarre problem and that is why I am not sure how to resolve it.

Upvote 0
I won't have access to a computer until later today. If you can remove sensitive data do you want to share it via Google drive. Drop box or some other sharing platform ?

Upvote 0
You seem to have used:

=IFERROR((GETPIVOTDATA("Type of Residence",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","Reference Area","Type of Residence","Caravan")),"")

but Type of Residence is not a value field in that pivot table. I assume it should have been "LGA" as in the other formula.

Upvote 0
Dittto to Rory's comment. Does this help at all ?
I have the totals in yellow since they are a different formula (which is not ideal).
The focus is on Column D the others are just to show how I got there.

20220912 Pivot Table GetPivotData jessitarexcel.xlsx
BCDEFG
78Key Figure Breakdown - LGA & Property Type
80Summary InformationTotalsModified FormulasOriginal Hardcoded (sample)Test PrefixTest part 2
81BCC Boat#REF!1010BCCBoat
82BCC Caravan#REF!22
83BCC House#REF!11
84BCC Unit/Townhouse#REF!11
85BCC Total Applications#REF!1414
86RCC Boat  
87RCC Caravan 1
88RCC House#REF!1
89RCC Unit/Townhouse0 
90RCC Total Applications#REF!2
91MBRC Boat0 
92MBRC Caravan0 
93MBRC House01
94MBRC Unit/Townhouse0 
95MBRC Total Applications#REF!1
SAG Overview
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C81C81=GETPIVOTDATA("Type of Residence",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$BD$3,"LGA","BCC","Type of Residence","Boat")
D86:D89,D91:D94,D81:D84D81=IFERROR(GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$BD$3,"LGA",LEFT(B81,FIND(" ",B81)-1),"Type of Residence",RIGHT(B81,LEN(B81)-FIND(" ",B81))),"")
E81E81=GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$BD$3,"LGA","BCC","Type of Residence","Boat")
F81F81=LEFT(B81,FIND(" ",B81)-1)
G81G81=RIGHT(B81,LEN(B81)-FIND(" ",B81))
C82C82=GETPIVOTDATA("Type of Residence",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$BD$3,"LGA","BCC","Type of Residence","Caravan")
E82E82=GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$BD$3,"LGA","BCC","Type of Residence","Caravan")
C83C83=GETPIVOTDATA("Type of Residence",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$BD$3,"LGA","BCC","Type of Residence","House")
E83E83=GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$BD$3,"LGA","BCC","Type of Residence","House")
C84C84=GETPIVOTDATA("Type of Residence",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$BD$3,"LGA","BCC","Type of Residence","Unit/Townhouse")
E84E84=GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$BD$3,"LGA","BCC","Type of Residence","Unit/Townhouse")
C85C85=GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","BCC")
D85,D90,D95D85=GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$BD$3,"LGA",LEFT(B81,FIND(" ",B81)-1))
E85E85=GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$BD$3,"LGA","BCC")
C86C86=IFERROR((GETPIVOTDATA("Type of Residence",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","RCC","Type of Residence","Boat")),"")
C87C87=IFERROR((GETPIVOTDATA("Type of Residence",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","RCC","Type of Residence","Boat")),"")
C88C88=GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","RCC","Type of Residence","House")
C89C89=IF(ISERROR((GETPIVOTDATA("Type of Residence",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","RCC","Type of Residence","Unit/Townhouse"))),0,0)
C90C90=GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","RCC")
C91C91=IF(ISERROR((GETPIVOTDATA("Type of Residence",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","RCC","Type of Residence","Boat"))),0,0)
C92C92=IF(ISERROR((GETPIVOTDATA("Type of Residence",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","RCC","Type of Residence","Caravan"))),0,0)
C93C93=IF(ISERROR((GETPIVOTDATA("Type of Residence",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","RCC","Type of Residence","House"))),0,0)
C94C94=IF(ISERROR((GETPIVOTDATA("Type of Residence",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","RCC","Type of Residence","Unit/Townhouse"))),0,0)
C95C95=GETPIVOTDATA("LGA",'SAG Pivot Tables - Locked'!$AB$3,"LGA","MBRC")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back