=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH

Board Regular
Hi guys,

Using a formula at the moment as:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(H8,R24)),H8,"")

Essentially I want to search for contents of H8 in cell R24, and if found, return H8. This formula works but I would like the search to be conducted from right to left? I believe at the moment I will sarch for H8 value from left to right in cell R24...

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Do you mean that if "TOM" is found in cell H8, then it should search cell R24 for "MOT" and not "TOM"?

Upvote 0
Not quite, if TOM is found in H8, it should TOM in R24, but start the search from right to left of the cell. Because my formula will have multiple searches back to back. Aka my search criteria may be, TOM, JIM, JED.... I will be search for all three, but if in R24 the data is TOMJIMJED, I need to search for the one closest to end, ie right to left.... Thanks

Upvote 0
Let's say you have "TOMJIMJED" in R24 and H8 is TOM. Then, irrespective of the direction of the search the match will be found and H8 i.e. TOM will be the return value.
Similarly, if you have "TOMJIMJED" in R24 and H8 is JED. Then, irrespective of the direction of the search the match will be found and H8 i.e. JED will be the return value.
Can you give an example wherein the direction of the search will influence the output?

Upvote 0
Yes your correct, but I will be cycling through searches, and lets say TOMJIMJED is in the cell, and I am cycling through the search criteria's of TOM, TIM, JED, I need the search to find JED, as this is furthest right... If TOM is searched before jed, this will be returned but I need the furthest right result...

Upvote 0
I would like you to give an sample of your data in cells H8 and R24 for which you think the direction will influence the output.
Or do you want to say that you have data in cell H8 and R24 where multiple names match? e.g. TOMJIMJED. So far I am guessing that H8 would a single name all the time and R24 would be multiple names.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back