IF OR and ISTEXT Formula

Chialiwa

I'm getting a #SPILL error on my formula and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

=IF(ISTEXT(SEARCH("Organization",B2)),MID(B2,17,3),IF(ISTEXT(SEARCH({"ELKTON","ORLAND","ROCKYH"},B2)),LEFT(B2,6),A1))

What I want is for the formula to check in cell B2 for the word "organization", and if it contains that word, give me the the specified characters in my MID formula, but if the words ELKTON, ORLAND, or ROCKYH are in B2, then I want it to return the 6 characters on the left. If if doesn't have any of those words/meet those conditions, I want it to return the value in A1. What am I doing wrong?

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
See if this does what you want

Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Organization",B2)),MID(B2,17,3),IF(COUNT(SEARCH({"ELKTON","ORLAND","ROCKYH"},B2)),LEFT(B2,6),A1))

Upvote 0
See if this does what you want

Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Organization",B2)),MID(B2,17,3),IF(COUNT(SEARCH({"ELKTON","ORLAND","ROCKYH"},B2)),LEFT(B2,6),A1))
Peter, this worked perfectly! why isnumber and count instead of istext? I would not have thought to use count at all. This totally worked for me, thank you so much!

Upvote 0
Peter, this worked perfectly!
Good news. :)

why isnumber ... instead of istext?
Because SEARCH will never return text, it either returns a number or an error value. From Help on the SEARCH function..
The SEARCH function locates one text string within a second text string, and returns the number of the starting position ..

If the value ... is not found, the #VALUE! error value is returned.

why .... count instead of istext?
Same argument as above about why not istext. But also ..
SEARCH({"ELKTON","ORLAND","ROCKYH"},B2)
This does three SEARCH functions so it will return three values and each of those values will be a number or an error. COUNT is used as it will count how many numbers are returned from those three searches & ignore the error values. If the COUNT is 1, 2 or 3 then at least one of the words is found so the left 6 characters will be returned. If the three searches all return an error value then COUNT will be 0, which is treated as a FALSE in the IF function, so A1 would be returned.

BTW, I suggest that you update your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back