IF (or similar) based on various list of options

RobMolyneux

Hi,

I'm sorry for the title being so vague, but i quickly need to run some numbers and the source data is a bit messy. The simplest way for me to do this with my limited knowledge is an IF statement, but i think it's going to be very messy in terms of nested IFs to do what i need, so i wonder if anyone can help.

I have columns A to AM which come from a macro of some sort and so change content when refreshed, but then there are cells AN to AQ which self populate according to the data in A-AM, and so update automatically as and when the sheet is refreshed.

I hope that makes sense.

I want to add in another column which will return one of "Live", "On Hold" or "Waiting", depending on what is in the main data in columns A-AM.

I'm working in a worksheet called "PMData" if that matters.

in column K (titled "jobType") i have a series of work types, call then "AAA", "BBB", "CCC", etc. of which i only need to care about "AAA"
in Column H (titled "ProjectManagerStatus") i have 11 different statuses in total, of which some are essentially the same as another for my purposes in what i'm trying to do, and 3 others i want to ignore completely.

I've created a new worksheet called "LIST" which lists these 11 statuses out in the range A1 to A11.

I want to return my own statuses "Live", "On Hold" or "Waiting" in column AR based on:

IF ----> K = "AAA"

AND ---> IF ---> H = any of A1-A6 in LIST sheet ----> then "Live"

. OR IF ----> H = A7 in LIST sheet ----> then "On Hold"

. OR IF ----> H = A8 in LIST sheet ----> then "Waiting"

so if K = anything other than "AAA" or if K = "AAA" but H = anything other than A1-A8 in LIST sheet, then it doesn't return anything in column AR.

I'm not sure if that will be enough for anyone to work with, or if i've even explained it right, but I've found this forum to dig me out of a hole when i've been utterly stuck before, so my fingers are firmly crossed once again, and thanks in advance!!!

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
try this

Excel 2013/2016
A
1LIST1
2LIST2
3LIST3
4LIST4
5LIST5
6LIST6
7LIST7
8LIST8
9LIST9
10LIST10
11LIST11
LIST

Excel 2013/2016
GHIJKLAQARAS
1ProjectManagerStatusjobTypeAAA
2AAAList5Live
3AAAList9
4List7
5AAAList4Live
6AAAList6Live
7AAAList9
8AAAList8Waiting
9AAAList7On Hold
10List3
11AAAList10
PMData
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
AR2=IF(H2=$AR$1,IF(MATCH(K2,LIST!$A$1:$A$11,0)<=6,"Live", IF(MATCH(K2,LIST!$A$1:$A$11,0)=7,"On Hold", IF(MATCH(K2,LIST!$A$1:$A$11,0)=8,"Waiting",""))),"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtsheetz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back