IF Statement Applied Across Columns?

sabledragonrook

Hello all! I can't quite figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I've got the value "250" in F21. Then in G21 through G25, I've got a number of values (this is all for a budget sheet, where 250 is the max allowed spending in a category and G21:G25 is all the purchases made in that category). I'm trying to make an IF statement that does "IF the SUM of G21:G25>250, change F21's cell color to red." To let me know we're over budget. However, I just can't get it to work, and I'm not sure why. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
You would use Conditional Formatting to do that.
Highlight cell cell F21, and use the following Conditional Formatting formula:
Code:
=SUM(G21:G25) > 250
and choose your red formatting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You would use Conditional Formatting to do that.
Highlight cell cell F21, and use the following Conditional Formatting formula:
Code:
=SUM(G21:G25) > 250
and choose your red formatting.
Thanks! I've tried that already, but it's the actual conditional formatting box that I can't manage. It's Excel online (Sheets), and when I choose conditional formatting, it makes me choose a category that doesn't fit what I'm trying to do. If I use Custom, it comes up FALSE.

I'm probably missing something obvious. Thanks!

Upvote 0
It's Excel online (Sheets), and when I choose conditional formatting, it makes me choose a category that doesn't fit what I'm trying to do. If I use Custom, it comes up FALSE.
I would recommend including those details in the original question, so people know what you are dealing with.
What options does it give you?

Upvote 0
I would recommend including those details in the original question, so people know what you are dealing with.
What options does it give you?
I have "apply to range" where I can select cells, then "Format Cells If" which I think is causing the problem, because then it gives me too-specific things like "value is greater than" and none of them fit me. But I don't know how to get around that/format the cell color without choosing conditional formatting.

Upvote 0
I am a little. Aren't you trying to use Conditional Formatting?
Does Conditional Formatting give you a formula option?

Upvote 0
I am a little. Aren't you trying to use Conditional Formatting?
Does Conditional Formatting give you a formula option?
No, that's what's confusing me too. It doesn't give me an option to put in a formula. It's like it's trying to make it simple, so that people who don't know how to write formulas can still do conditional formatting, but in doing so it's blocked me off from making my own conditional formatting. If you have Excel Sheets (the online version of Excel), open any spreadsheet and just click on Format > Conditional Formatting. That's where I am.

Basically, I can only choose from preset options, like "Cell value is greater than" instead of having the option to just type in a formula.

Upvote 0
If you have Excel Sheets (the online version of Excel)
I am sorry, I do not have that, so I cannot see what you are looking at. So I am afraid I cannot be of much help with that.
Does Excel sheets allow VBA? If so, I can help you come up with some VBA that would accomplish the same task.

Upvote 0
You should have an option for New Rule which is 3rd up from the bottom. Then in the window that opens the last option should be Use a Formula.....

Upvote 0
Hello! I don't see an option for New Rule. Is that in the online version of Excel? I'm sorry, I don't know why this is so odd. Would it help anyone if I were to move this to Google Sheets?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKSMITH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back