IF Statement based on Cell Format

KendallsDataImprov

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have these two tables for two separate nonprofit directors with some overlapping values (i.e. Bank of America in both columns A and C), and they need to collaborate on their timing of communication so that they don't step on each others toes while fundraising. I've added an activity column beside both lists using Data Validation so that they can update the status as needed... "In contact" changes font to red and "Recent Ask" changes it to red bold italic.

What I WANT to happen is for the duplicate Grantmakers to change to the Light Red Highlight automatically, everywhere else they appear, whenever there is any activity noted. So that for instance, as I've shown manually in the screenshot, updating the activity status beside Bank of America in column A in turn highlights the duplicate name in column C.

I assume I need an If then statement, I just don't know how to write the formula or if I can do it this way at all. Something like: If the contents of this column are duplicates, If any of said duplicates are in Red, highlight this cell ..?

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 2022-10-27 12_23_56-Orgs by 501c3 - Excel.png
    2022-10-27 12_23_56-Orgs by 501c3 - Excel.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 7

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
maybe a countifs()

so if the activity cell is blank then no highlight
in column C - if that is the column

select the cells C2 : c????
then a conditional formatting rule

=COUNTIFS( $A$2:$A$1000,C2,$B$2:$B$1000, "<>" ) >0

and

=COUNTIFS( $C$2:$C$1000,A2,$D$2:$D$1000, "<>" ) >0
i have formatted the text RED and bold - just to show the difference - but no reason not to format the same red fill

quick mockup

Book2
ABCD
1nameactivitynameactivity
2Fred-1fred-4
3Fred-2recentfred-5
4Fred-3fred-6
5Fred-4fred-7contact
6Fred-5recentfred-8
7Fred-6fred-9
8Fred-7fred-1
9Fred-8fred-2
10Fred-9fred-3visit
11fred-4
12fred-5
13fred-6
Sheet1
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
A2:A15Expression=COUNTIFS( $C$2:$C$1000,A2,$D$2:$D$1000, "<>" ) >0textYES
C2:C13Expression=COUNTIFS( $A$2:$A$1000,C2,$B$2:$B$1000, "<>" ) >0textNO

Note: Images are difficult to see , and also requires that I input all the data myself, which is very time consuming.

A SMALL sample spreadsheet, around 10-20 rows, would help a lot here, with all sensitive data removed, and expected results mocked up and manually entered, with a few notes of explanation.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data and will allow us to copy/paste your sample data into our Excel spreadsheets, saving a lot of time.

You can also test to see if it works ok, in the "Test Here" forum.

OR if you cannot get XL2BB to work, or have restrictions on your PC , then put the sample spreadsheet onto a share
I only tend to goto OneDrive, Dropbox or google docs , as I'm never certain of other random share sites and possible virus.
Please make sure you have a representative data sample and also that the data has been desensitised, remember this site is open to anyone with internet access to see - so any sensitive / personal data should be removed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back