"If" Statement Compound

tracyw

Hi all experts, i have a Q about using the "if" compound statement. my case is as follows (let's see if i can explain this issue clearly):

i have a worksheet that compares LEASING vs PURCHASING for trailers for my company. i have an annual chart (12 months) for inputting monthly leases of trailers. i also have a chart that calculates depreciation for the trailers if we buy the trailers. To compare apple to apple in terms of time period, the depreciation have to start AT THE SAME TIME as the lease starts.

i tried to use a "IF" statement to do the calculateion for the depreciation. the formula i created is as the follows:
"=IF(D46>0,C46/10/12,IF(E46>0,C46/10/11,IF(F46>0,C46/10/10,IF(G46>0,C46/10/9,IF(H46>0,C46/10/8,IF(H46>0,C46/10/7,IF(I46>0,C46/10/6,IF(J46>0,C46/10/5,0))))))))"

basically i asked the computer to check that in each month, if there's a value greater than zero, calculates the monthly depreciation times the number of months remains in the year. for example, if there's a lease amount in april, then it will calculates the depreciation as monthly depreciation times 9 [there are 9 months left in the year if we start to count from April (with April included.)]

the above formula that i created work BUT i can only have 9 "IF"s compounded (in a way that an "IF" is imbeded in another "IF"...) is there a limit of compounding like this? i can only go up to September but i need a full year, which means, i need it to be imbeded 12 times!

i know this looks long... but PLEASE HELP! :(

Tracy

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Tracy

Are you sure that worked?

This wouldn't return a date.

C46/10/12

It would calculate C46 divided by 10 divided by 12.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back