IF statement contain Indirect to point in another sheet

Sam80

Hello all,
I am a bit confused about a test that I did in Excel. If anyone has an explanation please let me know it! :)

I have two sheets. one sheet is data ( named as data) and the other is calculation ( named as calc).

If in a cell of 'calc' sheet I write the below code I will get #Value! when I use evaluate formula (But excel shows the correct answer) when it reach of calculation of Data!$A$1:$A$12. This happens if and only if I use indirect with the reference to the other sheet.

=SUM(IF(INDIRECT("'Data'!$A$4"):INDIRECT("'Data'!$A$12")="a";1;0))

Thank you for your support!

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Hello all,
I am a bit confused about a test that I did in Excel. If anyone has an explanation please let me know it! :)

I have two sheets. one sheet is data ( named as data) and the other is calculation ( named as calc).

If in a cell of 'calc' sheet I write the below code I will get #Value! when I use evaluate formula (But excel shows the correct answer) when it reach of calculation of Data!$A$1:$A$12. This happens if and only if I use indirect with the reference to the other sheet.

=SUM(IF(INDIRECT("'Data'!$A$4"):INDIRECT("'Data'!$A$12")="a";1;0))

Thank you for your support!

=SUM(IF(INDIRECT("Data!A4:A12")="a";1;0))

This formula must be confirmed with control+shift+enter, not just enter.

But do you really need such for

=SUM(IF(Data!$A$4:$A$12="a";1;0)

would suffice (also control+shift+enter).

Even better, just enter:

=COUNTIF(Data!A4:A12;"a")

because a tad faster.

Upvote 0
=SUM(IF(INDIRECT("'Data'!$A$4")&":"&INDIRECT("'Data'!$A$12")="a";1;0))
Hello Oeldere,
The code that you wrote makes string from the result of first and second indirect and not a reference to the cell data of the 'data' sheet. So that does not work.
is there any other suggestion?
Thx

Upvote 0
=SUM(IF(INDIRECT("Data!A4:A12")="a";1;0))

This formula must be confirmed with control+shift+enter, not just enter.

But do you really need such for

=SUM(IF(Data!$A$4:$A$12="a";1;0)

would suffice (also control+shift+enter).

Even better, just enter:

=COUNTIF(Data!A4:A12;"a")

because a tad faster.

Hello Aladin,
My aim is to use two Indirect to reference to a cell value in the other sheet as the code that I wrote and of course I use Control Shift Enter for array calculations. what you had written used on indirect that I knew it works.
About countIf yes I know it is possible to do that with other methods but the aim is to get why Evaluation Formula gives #Value! when it wants to interpret the the indirects from left handside of the equal sign with the right hand sign :)

Upvote 0
Hello Aladin,
My aim is to use two Indirect to reference to a cell value in the other sheet as the code that I wrote and of course I use Control Shift Enter for array calculations. what you had written used on indirect that I knew it works.
About countIf yes I know it is possible to do that with other methods but the aim is to get why Evaluation Formula gives #Value! when it wants to interpret the the indirects from left handside of the equal sign with the right hand sign :)

What does give the #VALUE! error? I mean which formula...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back