IF statement followed by a SUM

Ryan1996

Board Regular
Hi guys,

I'm trying to create a formula to look into a box and sum up how many of x application are within a certain column.

So for example i have the below

UsernameNotesResolution
User1This is the notes field where application thisisapplication1 is held as proof for blahYES
User2This is the notes field where application thisisapplication2 is held as proof for blahNO
User3This is the notes field where application thisisapplication1 is held as proof for blahYES
User4This is the notes field where application thisisapplication1 is held as proof for blahYES
User5This is the notes field where application thisisapplication2 is held as proof for blahNO
User6This is the notes field where application thisisapplication2 is held as proof for blahNO

<tbody>
</tbody>

As you can see there are 3 columns, one being a notes box. In a new column i need to search within this box (B2 - the notes column) for either "application1, or "application2" and so on and then if one of those exists i need it to respond with a result so for example application 1 could say "YES", application2 could say "NO" and application3 could say "MAYBE" (these are just examples so i can hopefully get you to understand)

I'm sure this should be a simple IF statement along with AND/OR however i can't seem to get it to work.

If anyone can help that would be great!

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Here is one way:
Code:
=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("application1",B2)),"YES",IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("application2",B2)),"NO",IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("application3",B2)),"MAYBE","")))

Upvote 0
I figured out all i really needed was a countif bit of code and didn't need all the extra but i'm definitely going to use this anyway, very very helpful!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back