IF statement help please?

opgriffiths

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi all,

I am having an issue with trying to write a formula for a delivery note I have made using Excel.

So I have a box with a 'pull down' menu (C10) that I can select the product being delivered. In the box next to it (D10), I have a box that tells the customer the ABV of that product.

The product that is selected on the 'pull down' menu comes from another extra sheet (called 'Product List') where all the products are listed in the 'A' column. In the 'B' column is the ABV of that product.

Now when this sheet started I could easily make D10 automatically populate by writing multiple 'IF' statements in that cell. That was ok when there were only about 10 products as I could individually list all the relevant cells that could possibly be selected and everything was ok. The problem is that now that I have about 50+ products and I used the same method for a while but it has now become a very messy and long formula that doesn't really remain practical past 20 odd products.

This is the formula I used in D10...... =@IF(C10='Product List'!A1,'Product List'!B1,IF(C10='Product List'!A2,'Product List'!B2,IF(C10='Product List'!A3,'Product List'!B3,IF(C10='Product List'!A4,'Product List'!B4, and so on.....

Is there a way this formula can be written in a much tidier and shorter way?

I would be extremely grateful if anyone was able to help me with this please? (assuming it is even possible)

Cheers,
Olly

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
How about
Excel Formula:
=VLOOKUP(C10,'Product List'!A$1:B$100,2,0)

Upvote 0
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
How about
Excel Formula:
=VLOOKUP(C10,'Product List'!A$1:B$100,2,0)

Thank You so much that is perfect...... works a treat! :)

The only thing now is that it comes up with '#N/A' when there is no option selected. How do I use the above formula but make the box blank until I select something please?

Many thanks again,

Oliver

Upvote 0
How about
Excel Formula:
=IFNA(VLOOKUP(C10,'Product List'!A$1:B$100,2,0),"")

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back