If statement within a bullet chart

Nusrat74

Hello,

Hoping someone will be able to help as I've hit a brick wall!!

I have created bullet charts to show finance and performance all on one chart for all the organisations we work with. The performance side of things works well but the finance only works if the organisation has either spent everything that was given to them or they have under-spend which means they still have money left over. But when the organisation has overspent meaning they have used their own money on top of what has been paid to them then this figure on the bullet chart is shown as a negative figure and falls below 0% on the chart and messes the chart up!!

I don't know how to fix this, one of my colleague suggested doing an IF statement but I have no idea how to do this either. I have googled and googled but have got nothing.

I hope this makes sense and someone will be able to help:)

Many thanks
Nusrat

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
what do you want to show when its negative ?
do you want that on the chart or ignored ?

can we have some idea of the data structure

Upvote 0
I work for a charity and we work with 14 organisations that provide the services which we fund.

The bullet chart is to show them how much their total funding is, how much of the funding has been paid and spent by them and how much of the funding that has been paid but not been spent, against their performance which is evaluated through questionnaires.

When the organisation has spent all of the funding that they have received or have under-spent and have money left over, this shows really well on the chart. The problem arises when they have overspent using money from their own pocket, when I put this into the chart it shows as a negative figure and messes the chart up as it shows figures in the negative and goes above 100%!

My thoughts are that as it is an overspend it should sit on top of the 'total funding' going above 100%. And we do want it on the chart to show how much they have overspent.

I'm sorry if I'm not making any sense, I am very confused:confused:

Upvote 0
i'm a little confused too i'm afraid

The calc would be to change the value to positive , which you could do with an IF () and a ABS() , which will remove the sign
But then that would show how much over they are , as a percent

where do you enter the data and then i assume you work out a percent somehow

is it possible to perhaps link to a copy of the file (with any private data removed) using one drive or drop box at all ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back