IF Statements Not Working Correctly

aread

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I want the value of a cell to be 0 if the corresponding cell in the Material column is not blank or if the corresponding cell in the Item Category column is not D or L, otherwise it should return a 1. All the other cells referenced are formatted as text even if there is a number in the Material column. The cells where the formula is at are formatted as a whole number.

I fixed the #NAME? error I had initially, but now I have tried the following formulas and I am getting all 0's in each, even if the outcome is false...

=IF(OR((NOT(ISBLANK([@Material]))), OR([@[Item Category]]="L",[@[Item Category]]="D")),0,1)
=IF(AND(ISBLANK([@Material]),OR([@[Item Category]]<>"D",[@[Item Category]]<>"L")),1,0)
=IF(OR(((ISBLANK([@Material]))), [@[Item Category]]="L",[@[Item Category]]="D"),0,IF(NOT(ISBLANK([@Material])),0,1))

There was another formula that returned all 1's but I forgot to copy it before changing it. Maybe I am just tired, but I can't seem to find the issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
I want the value of a cell to be 0 if the corresponding cell in the Material column is not blank or if the corresponding cell in the Item Category column is not D or L, otherwise it should return a 1.
See if this does what you want. If not please give a small set of sample data of materials & Item Category and the expected result for each row.

=--AND([@Material]="",OR([@[Item Category]]={"D","L"}))

Upvote 0
Another way
=IF(OR([@Material]<>"",AND([@Item Category]<>{"D";"L"})),0,1)

Upvote 0
Hi Aread, I hope I can help.

“I want the value of a cell to be 0 if the corresponding cell in the Material column is not blank”

So you want the cell to be 1 if the Material column is blank, let’s get that out of the way first:

Starting with =IF([@Material]<>””,1,…

So this will return a 1 and stop if the material column is not blank, if this condition is not met, then it will progress to the next function.

I want the value of a cell to be 0… If the corresponding cell in the Item Category column is not D or L

So again, if it is D or L, you want a 1.

So just focussing on the L, it would be:

=IF([@[Item Category]]="L",1,…

If L criteria is not met, then check for D:

=IF([@[Item Category]]="D",1,0)

Joining the three parts together, we should get:

=IF([@Material]<>””,1,IF([@[Item Category]]="L",1,IF([@[Item Category]]="D",1,0)

If you prefer to use an OR expression, then:

=IF(OR([@Material]<>””,[@[Item Category]]="L",[@[Item Category]]="D",1,0)

You’ve overcomplicated your formulae by focussing on what it is not.

Hope this works.

Upvote 0
Ok, I think I stated it wrong initially, so thank you for spelling it out for me again... Using parts of the above options, I came up with this and it works.

=IF(AND([@Material]="",OR([@[Item Category]]={"D";"L"})),0,1)

Thank you all for your help!!!

This is what I am now getting, which is correct:
MaterialFree TextItem Category
0​
D
0​
L
G46-000-00171
0​
G86-000-00066
0​
G38-000-00019
0​
1​

Upvote 0
=IF(AND([@Material]="",OR([@[Item Category]]={"D";"L"})),0,1)
So you could also shorten that to
=1-OR([@Material]&"|"&[@[Item Category]]={"|D","|L"})

Joining the three parts together, we should get:

=IF([@Material]<>””,1,IF([@[Item Category]]="L",1,IF([@[Item Category]]="D",1,0)

If you prefer to use an OR expression, then:

=IF(OR([@Material]<>””,[@[Item Category]]="L",[@[Item Category]]="D",1,0)
As they are written, neither of those are valid formulas as they have mis-matched number of ( and )

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back