IF / THEN Dependency List?

technoweener

Help!

Reference cell A1 is a dropdown list
value selected in A1 needs to influence the display of other dropdown lists in A2 and A3.

So if user select "Book" in A1, then the list in A2 will display its list's for additional selections but the list for A3 will not show. If user selects "Car" in A1, the list in A3 will appear but not the list in A2. And if user selects "Both" in A1, the lists in A2 and A3 will appear.

Here is what I have tried:
I inserted the A2 and A3 "list" data ranges to "names" and then included the "names" in a "data" - "validation" - "list" - "source". The formulas are roughly: =if(A1="Book", A2name, N/A) and =if(A1="Car", A3name, N/A). The lists appear but only sometimes do they let me select from them. Also, sometimes the "validation" - "list" - "source" gives an error message stating, "The list source must be a delimited list, or a reference to a single row or column."

whew!

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Hello technoweener, welcome to the board.
Trying to understand your situation before knowing what to consider for a solution.
1.) Are all 3 of these dropdowns, data valiation cells? (if so, then how are you selecting both 'book' and 'car' in A1?) - Or is A1 a ComboBox?
2.) Do you actually want the user to have the option of selecting both book & car? Or are they only supposed to choose one or the other?

Upvote 0
HalfAce,

1. Yes, A1 is a validation drop down. Maybe I mis-spoke. Meant to say "Book" or "Car".

2. One or the other. And based on their selection, influence 2 other drop down lists.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back