IF THEN HIGHLIGHT

pistol1

I would like to perform a if then function that if a letter say d is entered in a cell then the row is highlighted in transparent red. Could anyone help me with this matter I would greatly appreciate it .
Thanks Pistol1

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
And methinks you're after conditional formatting - check the xl help files...

Upvote 0
I looked at the conditional format help. I can't seem to reference a single cell to highlight a whole line. I will keep trying any suggestions would be apprecialted thanks Pistol1 :oops: does anyone recomend a good learning resource for me to master excel. I would like some suggestions.

Upvote 0
Enter the conditional format for cell A1:

'Formula is' =$A$1=1

Copy it and select row A and pastespecial formats....

Edit: enter 1 in A1 and the row should hghlight - try something else and it should'nt

Upvote 0
you can use the conditional formating from the format menu as suggested. Make sure that the cell you are referring to for the condition is locked i.e $a$1 . You can then use the format painter (double click the paint brush) to copy the format out as many columns as you need (does quite do the whole row, but may be good enough).

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
I appreciate the help I was only able to get the cell to highlight. now I should be able to get the whole row. My value is in collumn c do I just sub c for a thanks for the help and advice Pistol :p

Upvote 0
Hello Pistol1,

Here is another Conditional Formatting option for you.

1) In a cell, say F1, type: =Countif($C$1:$C$50,"d")
2)Select C1 with mouse, go to “Format”, Conditional Formatting, with "Condition1" as "Formula is", type: =$F$1>0. Format color as desired (Don't think you can get transparent red in Conditional Formating though. Someone will correct me if i'm wrong)
3)Copy C1, drag down to C50, go to “Edit”, “Paste Special”, “Formats” , OK

The formula will scan C1:C50, looking for a "d". When the first "d" is entered, the formula will produce a value of "1". At this point the Conditional Formatting will have justification to highlight your specified range (C1:C50) to your specified color (Red).

HTH

Noir

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back