IF value is same in two columns then display a third value from another column

Rick187

Hi,

Does anyone know which formula can achieve this:

If value in column A is the same as value in column B, then display the value from Column C

For example if Column A contains these values

C1 - AAA
C2 - BBB

Column B contains the same:
B1 - AAA
B2 - BBB
B3 - CCC

Column C contains
C1 - London
C2 - New York
Etc.

In Column D, I would like it to insert the value from Column C, so next to "AAA", I would like it to display "London"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tim_Excel_

Code:
=IF(A1=B1,C1,"")
This is the simplest of formulas... Maybe consider googling the problem before opening a new thread?

Rick187

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work when the columns are in different sheets.

I've tried this: =IF('Sheet1'!A:A=Sheet2!G:G,Sheet2!I:I,"")

Tim_Excel_

Again, Google is your best friend... (although one could argue it isn't because of privacy reasons, but that's another topic)

Code:
[COLOR=#333333] =IF([/COLOR]Sheet1![COLOR=#333333]A:A=Sheet2!G:G,Sheet2!I:I,"")[/COLOR]

Rick187

Again, Google is your best friend... (although one could argue it isn't because of privacy reasons, but that's another topic)

Code:
[COLOR=#333333] =IF([/COLOR]Sheet1![COLOR=#333333]A:A=Sheet2!G:G,Sheet2!I:I,"")[/COLOR]
This doesn't seem to work. Nothing displays when I use this formula.

Tim_Excel_

It does work on my end when I use regular text and number values. I'm assuming there's some information missing here. What do these ranges contain?

Rick187

It does work on my end when I use regular text and number values. I'm assuming there's some information missing here. What do these ranges contain?
They contain text.

In Sheet 1 If the value from A2 is contained in a range from another sheet (Sheet 2 Column G), then Display the corresponding Value from (Sheet 2 Column I)

So if I have the word "Cat" in the the first sheet in Cell A2, and in sheet 2 Column G I have 30 different words and one of them is "Cat", Next to the word "Cat" in "Column I" It says "London". I would like the word "London" to display in Sheet 1 cell B2.

Tim_Excel_

That's a whole 'nother cookie

For this you will have to use the MATCH function. This will return the row number of the found value, or #N/A if the value was not found. You can then return the value of the cell next to it. Use the IFNA function to handle values that won't be found.

jtakw

Hi,

Change/adjust cell references/range, add sheet name, as needed.

Change "No Match" to "" (Blank) or whatever you like, formula copied down:

<b></b><table cellpadding="2.5px" rules="all" style=";background-color: rgb(255,255,255);border: 1px solid;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: rgb(187,187,187)"><colgroup><col width="25px" style="background-color: rgb(218,231,245)" /><col /><col /><col /><col /><col /><col /><col /><col /><col /></colgroup><thead><tr style=" background-color: rgb(218,231,245);text-align: center;color: rgb(22,17,32)"><th></th><th>A</th><th>B</th><th>C</th><th>D</th><th>E</th><th>F</th><th>G</th><th>H</th><th>I</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">2</td><td style=";">Cat</td><td style=";">London</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Dog</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">New York</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">3</td><td style=";">Pig</td><td style=";">No Match</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Mouse</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Paris</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">4</td><td style=";">Chicken</td><td style=";">No Match</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Cat</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">London</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">5</td><td style=";">Dog</td><td style=";">New York</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Horse</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">California</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">6</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Cow</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Washington</td></tr></tbody></table><p style="width:6.4em;font-weight:bold;margin:0;padding:0.2em 0.6em 0.2em 0.5em;border: 1px solid rgb(187,187,187);border-top:none;text-align: center;background-color: rgb(218,231,245);color: rgb(22,17,32)">Sheet558</p><br /><br /><table width="85%" cellpadding="2.5px" rules="all" style=";border: 2px solid black;border-collapse:collapse;padding: 0.4em;background-color: rgb(255,255,255)" ><tr><td style="padding:6px" ><b>Worksheet Formulas</b><table cellpadding="2.5px" width="100%" rules="all" style="border: 1px solid;text-align:center;background-color: rgb(255,255,255);border-collapse: collapse; border-color: rgb(187,187,187)"><thead><tr style=" background-color: rgb(218,231,245);color: rgb(22,17,32)"><th width="10px">Cell</th><th style="text-align:left;padding-left:5px;">Formula</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr><th width="10px" style=" background-color: rgb(218,231,245);color: rgb(22,17,32)">B2</th><td style="text-align:left">=IFERROR(<font color="Blue">LOOKUP(<font color="Red">2,1/SEARCH(<font color="Green">A2,G$2:G$6</font>),I$2:I$6</font>),"No Match"</font>)</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></table><br />

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics