If/Vlookup

C.R.

Board Regular
Hello,
I have 10 columns, grouped in 2's. Each 2 columns is a day of the week. Under each day is a Sequence # column and an account # column. I want to type in an account # in cell K3 and, using
=IF(VLOOKUP(K3,B3:B7,1,FALSE),"Monday Account",IF(VLOOKUP(K3,D3:D7,1,FALSE),"Tuesday Account",IF(VLOOKUP(K3,F3:F7,1,FALSE),"Wednesday Account",IF(VLOOKUP(K3,H3:H7,1,FALSE),"Thursday Account",IF(VLOOKUP(K3,J3:J7,1,FALSE),"Friday Account")))))

This only works for Monday accounts. Any other account #'s entered gets a #N/A error. I am stumped.

Thanks in advance,

C.R.

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
You can keep you same general format if you do something like this:

=IF(NOT(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(K3,B3:B7,1,FALSE))),"Monday Account",IF(NOT(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(K3,D3:D7,1,FALSE))),"Tuesday Account",IF(NOT(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(K3,F3:F7,1,FALSE))),"Wednesday Account",IF(NOT(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(K3,H3:H7,1,FALSE))),"Thursday Account","Friday Account"))))

The issue is that the first vlookup is producing the #N/A error, which is causing the rest of the formula to bomb out. By putting in the Not(iserror(, you are handling the #N/A and telling it to go on to the next argument. The process assumes you have a value in K3. If not, you will still get Friday Account. This can be handled as well if this is not desireable by first doing a check to make sure that K3 <>"".

HTH
Colbymack

Upvote 0
Colbymack,

I could see that the formula was crapping out but was clueless as to how to handle it. Many thanks. Your solution works perfectly. My headache is gone now.

C.R.

Upvote 0
C.R. said:
Hello,
I have 10 columns, grouped in 2's. Each 2 columns is a day of the week. Under each day is a Sequence # column and an account # column. I want to type in an account # in cell K3 and, using
=IF(VLOOKUP(K3,B3:B7,1,FALSE),"Monday Account",IF(VLOOKUP(K3,D3:D7,1,FALSE),"Tuesday Account",IF(VLOOKUP(K3,F3:F7,1,FALSE),"Wednesday Account",IF(VLOOKUP(K3,H3:H7,1,FALSE),"Thursday Account",IF(VLOOKUP(K3,J3:J7,1,FALSE),"Friday Account")))))

This only works for Monday accounts. Any other account #'s entered gets a #N/A error. I am stumped.

Thanks in advance,

C.R.

More compact and less expensive to invoke:

=INDEX({"Monday Account","","Tuesday Account","","Wednesday Account","","Thursday Account","","Friday Account"},MIN(IF((MOD(COLUMN($B$3:$J$7)-COLUMN($B$3)+0,2)=0)*($B$3:$J$7=K3),COLUMN($B$3:$J$7)-COLUMN($B$3)+1)))

which must be confirmed with control+shift+enter, not just with enter.

Upvote 0
Aladin,

Many thanks. I'll gave that most elegant solution a try tomorrow. Wow.

C.R.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back