A1:A6

HARRY
JAMES
BEN AND HARRY
BEN
MARK AND HARRY
MARK

Is there a way i could add an OR criteria for the criteria range in Countif

i.e =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$6,OR("*"&F1&"*","*"&F2&"*") )

Another quick question

How can i look at the range A1:A6 and have it equal to a fuzzy lookup and then give me that row number where it matches?

e.g

HARRY
JAMES
BEN AND HARRY
BEN
MARK AND HARRY
ME AND JAMES

F1 = HARRY

LOOK THROUGH THE RANGE A1:A6, AND TELL ME THE ROW NUMBERS WHERE I HAVE HARRY IN THERE, IN MY CASE 1,3 AND 5 (i can then use the small function and rows and index to give the data the data in order

HARRY
BEN AND HARRY
MARK AND HARRY

IF POSSIBLE CAN I HAVE 2 CRITERIAS SUCH AS

LOOK THROUGH THE RANGE A1:A6, AND TELL ME THE ROW NUMBERS WHERE I HAVE JAMES AND BEN

IN MY CASE 2, 3, 4 AND 6

JAMES
BEN AND HARRY
BEN
ME AND JAMES

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
I know with countif you can have a fuzzy lookup i.e

=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$6,"*"&F1&"*") = 3
F1 = Harry

HARRY
JAMES
BEN AND HARRY
BEN
MARK AND HARRY
MARK

Is there a way i could add an OR criteria for the criteria range in Countif

i.e =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$6,OR("*"&F1&"*","*"&F2&"*") )

Another quick question

How can i look at the range A1:A6 and have it equal to a fuzzy lookup and then give me that row number where it matches?

e.g

HARRY
JAMES
BEN AND HARRY
BEN
MARK AND HARRY
ME AND JAMES

F1 = HARRY

LOOK THROUGH THE RANGE A1:A6, AND TELL ME THE ROW NUMBERS WHERE I HAVE HARRY IN THERE, IN MY CASE 1,3 AND 5 (i can then use the small function and rows and index to give the data the data in order

HARRY
BEN AND HARRY
MARK AND HARRY

IF POSSIBLE CAN I HAVE 2 CRITERIAS SUCH AS

LOOK THROUGH THE RANGE A1:A6, AND TELL ME THE ROW NUMBERS WHERE I HAVE JAMES AND BEN

IN MY CASE 2, 3, 4 AND 6

JAMES
BEN AND HARRY
BEN
ME AND JAMES

Something like this but the If part is not working but this is what i am after

=INDEX($A$1:$A$6,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$6=OR("*"&F1&"*","*"&F2&"*"),ROW($A$1:$A$6)-ROW($A$1)+1),ROWS($A$1:A1)))

Upvote 0
Something like this but the If part is not working but this is what i am after

=INDEX($A$1:$A$6,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$6=OR("*"&F1&"*","*"&F2&"*"),ROW($A$1:$A$6)-ROW($A$1)+1),ROWS($A$1:A1)))

bump pleaseee

Upvote 0
Try this,

=INDEX($A$1:$A$6,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("#####",SUBSTITUTE(PROPER($A$1:$A$6),TRANSPOSE(PROPER($F$1:$F$2)),"#####"))),ROW($A$1:$A$6)-ROW($A$1)+1),ROWS(B$1:B1)))

Confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Copy down...

EDIT: Or

=INDEX($A$1:$A$6,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(TRANSPOSE($F$1:$F$2),$A$1:$A$6)),ROW($A$1:$A$6)-ROW($A$1)+1),ROWS(B$1:B1)))

Confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the OP is asking for native row numbers. Adjusting for that, we get something like Avarakhan's second option...

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 288pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=385><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 115pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5461" width=154><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" span=2 width=64><COL style="WIDTH: 77pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3669" width=103><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 115pt; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=19 width=154>HARRY</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 width=64> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 width=64> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 77pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 width=103>James</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=19>JAMES</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66>Ben</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=19>BEN AND HARRY</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl67>Count</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=19>BEN</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 align=right>3</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=19>MARK AND HARRY</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66>Native Row(s)</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl65 height=19>ME AND JONES</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 align=right>2</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl68 height=19> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 align=right>3</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 height=19> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 align=right>4</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 height=19> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 14.4pt" height=19><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 14.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66 height=19> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl66> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

D4, just enter:
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(A1:A6,"*"&D1:D2&"*"))

D6, control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:
Code:
=IF(ROWS($D$6:D6)<=$D$4,
   SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(TRANSPOSE($D$1:$D$2),$A$1:$A$6)),
    ROW($A$1:$A$6)),ROWS($D$6:D6)),"")

Upvote 0
Hi Aladdin or Haseeb, can you please advise why you used the transpose function, do you need to have the transpose?

Just trying to understand this part

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Aladdin or Haseeb, can you please advise why you used the transpose function, do you need to have the transpose?

Just trying to understand this part

Thanks

Bump

Thank you

Upvote 0
Bump

Thank you

please bit more patient...

If you change D1:D2 to, say D1:E1, you can drop TRANSPOSE.
TRANSPOSE(D1:D2) or D1:E1 allows SEARCH to create 2-column result, as it should be: One column for James, another for Ben.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
test111

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back