IFERROR (or is it IF(AND) still giving #VALUE!

mjacobse

I seem lost on this one. I am trying to combine a number of simple functions and seem to be going in circles of failure.

I'm working towards placing a result in Column I based on a few things:
I never know just how many rows of data there will be so I check for any content in column A, if A has no content, put nothing "" in I for that row, otherwise move on with other checks.

I also know that column H is supposed to have values between 1 and 1,000,000 (as text) and could also have the text "(blank)"

Any other content in H (alphanumerics, pure text or "values" (as text) not within the range of 1 to 1,000,000) should then result in "Requisition Number not to standard"

I've tried reordering the functions and played with shifting closing parentheses but I either get a result of #Value ! or "too many arguments" - specifically when there are instances of non numeric content in column I (the text formatted "value" of the requisition number).

This seems to work fine:
=IF(A5="","",IF(H5="(blank)","--",IFERROR(VALUE(H5),"Requisition Number not to standard")))

But I also need the below (or similar) included in the function group so that the good values between 1 and 1,000,000 are converted to genuine values.

IF(AND(VALUE(H5)>0,VALUE(H5)<1000000),VALUE(H5)

so that it would be something like this.

=IF(A5="","",IF(H5="(blank)","--",IFERROR(VALUE(H5),"Requisition Number not to standard",IF(AND(VALUE(H5)>0,VALUE(H5)<1000000),VALUE(H5))))

Again, I've tried leading and ending with the IFERROR (as well as the IF(AND) and embedding each midway.

What the heck am I doing wrong or what are alternates?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Welcome to MrExcel!

How about:

Book1
HI
6(Blank)--
7abcdRequisition Number not to standard
8-999Requisition Number not to standard
95,000,000Requisition Number not to standard
11helpRequisition Number not to standard
13Requisition Number not to standard
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I4=IF(H4="(Blank)","--",IFERROR(1/(1/IF(AND(H4+0>0,H4+0<1000000),H4+0,0)),"Requisition Number not to standard"))

Upvote 0
Perhaps a bit simpler:

=IF(H4="(Blank)","--",IFERROR(IF(AND(H4+0>0,H4+0<1000000),H4+0,NA()),"Requisition Number not to standard"))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back