Ignore a selected alphanumeric text in a cell for the purpose of summing

STAC81

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I am new to the forum... Hello!

I am not sure if it is possible, but with the help of your collective expertise, hopefully we can find a solution to my issue.
We are trying to simply Sum a column, but the cells will contain Text and Numbers mixed.

We were hoping to either:

1/ Be able to select a portion of this alphanumeric text in a cell to 'ignore', while leaving a single number to Sum within the column
or
2/ Specify one of the numbers within the alphanumeric text to be the only number to sum within a cell.

The Scenario:
This is for our Production Schedule (manufacturing), where our Labor allocation (number of workers) needs to be accounted for at all times

Our different Production Lines/Machines are represented in the Rows of the spreadsheet, and the Time is represented in the Columns (each column is a half hour increment).
We 'paint' in the duration of the different jobs left to right, and have a specific format we use to identify the job details: "CUSTOMER-ITEM#-PURCHASEORDER#-#OFWORKERS"
Example of the format would be: ABCCOMPANY-08888-18500-7

What I was hoping to do to make things easier, is to sum each 30min column throughout the day, to only count the Number of Workers to ensure they are all allocated at all times of the day.

In other words, using the example above, is is possible to select a certain part of the text to ignore, to leave only a number to Sum in the column (the 7 workers in this case):
ABCCOMPANY-08888-18500-7

Or alternatively, and I specify one value to be the only one to Sum in the column? ABCCOMPANY-08888-18500-7

Thank you in advance

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Welcome to the forum!

This will sum up anything after the last dash:

Book1
C
112:00
2ABCCOMPANY-08888-18500-7
3XYZCOMPANY-09999-12345-8
4WWWCOMPANY-00022-54321-5
8Worker sum
Sheet12
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C9C9=SUMPRODUCT(("0"&TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(C2:C6,"-",REPT(" ",99)),99)))+0)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gb24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back