Ignore blank cells in a named range when using dependent data validation

JackyJ

I am using dependant data validation in cell ‘Sheet2!$B2’. It’s formula is ‘=INDIRECT($A2)’.
The dropdown menu in ‘Sheet2!$B2’ then references a named range in ‘Sheet1!$L:$L’, which at times has one or more blank cells at the top of the column. I would like to ignore the blank cells in the column so that only the populated cells in the named range appear in the drop down menu.
I acquired the following formula from the net to replace ‘Sheet1!$L:$L’ in the name manager, but I am unable to make it work.
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$L$2,0,0,MATCH("*",Sheet1!$L$2:$L$100,-1),1)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m using Excel 2007, Vista

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Can you not remove the blank cells?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, guys.
Removing the blanks is not really an option. Also, I have trialled Jim’s idea, only using the following formula.
{=IF(SUM(IF(F$1:F$450<>"",1,0))>=ROW(),INDEX(F$1:F$450, SMALL(IF(TRIM(F$1:F$450)="", "", ROW(F$1:F$450)-MIN(ROW(F$1:F$450))+1), ROW(2:450))),"")}.
It works well, but for the drain on the cpu. With between 300 to 500 rows and 13 named ranges, the time taken to process any updates to the tables, is prohibitive.

This is why I’m looking for an alternative. I want to get rid of the named ranges with the array formulas and use the named range with the blanks to reference the dependant data validation.
Thanks again for your input.

Upvote 0
You could use:
=OFFSET(Sheet1!$L$1,MATCH("*",Sheet1!$L:$L,0)-1,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$L:$L),1)
as the named range, but you will need to remove the INDIRECT formula, add another named range, called say GetList, using:
=EVALUATE($A2)
and then use =GetList in the DV dialog.
Note: since you are using a relative row number in a named range, make sure you have the correct row active when you define the name.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jocksteriom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back