Ignore blank series in legend wthout VBA

eawachte

I have created a chart to show several different output options as a result of the input options. I am able to view 20 different outputs based on my input combinations. On the side of the table i simply have a column where the user can put an "x" and if so the results are plotted. I am able to not plot the options that are not selected with an "x" in my chart, BUT I can not get rid of the series that are not selected to be plotted to disappear from the legend. There is not value in the legend for these series, but the colored line/symbol still shows up in the legend.

Is there a way to do this without using VBA? I am pretty good at certain things in VBA, but charts and such is not one of those items.

Thanks for any help with this!!

GW

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Hi

No, I don't think you can do exactly what you want.

I am able to not plot the options that are not selected with an "x" in my chart,

You don't say how you do it but I guess you have some formulas to hide the data when the "x" is not present. This is not really not to plot, it's more to plot empty series, that's wly you get the entry in the legend box, the series may not have plottable data, but it's there.

Solutions:

- use the autofilter in your source table, filtering by the "x"'s. In this case you are really not including the series without the "x" in the chart and so there will be no entry in the legend box

- use vba. Buid the chart dinamically using only the series with the "x"

The autofilter solution seems the simpler solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back