Ignore blanks using SUMPRODUCT - Multiple Criteria

cbosch

Good afternoon. I am working on an excel project using SUMPRODUCT to match multiple criteria from many others worksheets. Essentially, what I am trying to do is a project tracking database. The SUMPRODUCT function is doing this: Taking all of the projects worked on a specific date and counting the hours logged towards that project. Next it also references the tasks assigned through a pull-down and if they match with the master sheet then the count is given for the hours put towards that task of the project. Next I have it also looking for a sub-task and taking only the hours for that sub-task if the drop down is pulled. The problem I have is that if the sub-task is blank (there isn't one for that project) then it returns a blank. I want to see if it's possible to SKIP or IGNORE the criteria if it's blank. I hope I explained this right.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Log_Projects=A13),--((Log_Hours)),--(((Log_Week='Tasks Per Week'!C$7))),--((((Log_Tasks=B13)))),--(((((Log_Sub_Tasks=C13))))))

The issue is the Log_Sub_Tasks... if this cell is blank, then it doesn't report any hours. What I would like is if that cell is blank for it to return the Log_Tasks and ignore that criteria.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
I also wanted to mention... if the first is possible, if it would also be possible if the Log_Tasks portion is blank to only show the projects. I know that this is better done in a pivot table and we have a pivot table... but once this is completed, we will also be matching this with a skill-assessment feature which will be really complex. Eventually we'll be porting this over to Access and then eventually into a web-driven standard... but the powers that be say it must be Excel :)

Upvote 0
Try...
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(
    Log_Hours,
    --(Log_Projects=A13),
    --(Log_Week='Tasks Per Week'!C$7),
    --(Log_Tasks=IF(B13="",Log_Tasks,B13)),
    --(Log_Sub_Tasks=IF(C13="",Log_Sub_Tasks,C13)))

Upvote 0
I just realized, that if all of the fields are blank (Projects, Tasks and Sub-Tasks) then the final number is equal to 1... is there a way to state if all of the variables are blank to show as blank?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back