Ignore Print Area

ExcelNovice17

Hi,

I am a novice in VBA but my work is demanding more and more. So my issue is that i am trying to save multiple worksheets in one PDF but when i open the PDF, the output is ignoring my customed print area. I wanted to know how can i deflect that so that both my printed hardcopy and my saved PDF come out the same. Below is my code for the save-to-pdf:

Sub Save()
Sheets(Array("worksheetA", "worksheetB", "worksheetC", "worksheetD", "worksheetE")).Select
Sheets("worksheetA").Activate
ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:=Range("A12:C12"), Quality:=xlQualityStandard, _
IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=True, OpenAfterPublish:=True
End Sub

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
You are on the right path.
IgnorePrintAreas Optional Variant If set to True, ignores any print areas set when publishing. If set to False, will use the print areas set when publishing.

So simply set IgnorePrintAreas:=False and it should do it.

Do not hesitate to try code changes and examine the outcome.
Also some advice beside the point:
avoid selecting/activating if not absolutely necessary (which is relatively rare) - sheet can be exported without activating:
Code:
Sheets("worksheetA").ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:=[COLOR=#ff0000]Sheets("worksheetA").[/COLOR]Range("A12:C12"), Quality:=xlQualityStandard, _
IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=[B]False[/B], OpenAfterPublish:=True
It will still print all selected sheets.
Also if you want to export all sheets in a workbook you can do it like this:
Code:
Thisworkbook.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:=[COLOR=#ff0000]Sheets("worksheetA")[/COLOR].Range("A12:C12"), Quality:=xlQualityStandard, _
IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=[B]False[/B], OpenAfterPublish:=True

You must also specify on which sheet is the range containing the file name (in red above).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You are on the right path.

So simply set IgnorePrintAreas:=False and it should do it.

Do not hesitate to try code changes and examine the outcome.
Also some advice beside the point:
avoid selecting/activating if not absolutely necessary (which is relatively rare) - sheet can be exported without activating:
Code:
Sheets("worksheetA").ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:=[COLOR=#ff0000]Sheets("worksheetA").[/COLOR]Range("A12:C12"), Quality:=xlQualityStandard, _
It will still print all selected sheets.
Also if you want to export all sheets in a workbook you can do it like this:
Code:
Thisworkbook.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:=[COLOR=#ff0000]Sheets("worksheetA")[/COLOR].Range("A12:C12"), Quality:=xlQualityStandard, _

You must also specify on which sheet is the range containing the file name (in red above).

Hi,
Thank you a lot for helping me.

Despite putting "IgnorePrintAreas:=False", it is still not working and publishing the PDF with extra lines.

I have specify the worksheets to print as the excel file contains around 9 pages and only 5 are needed for printing and saving.

Thank you again.

Upvote 0
Have you set any print area on EVERY sheet?

Print area has to be set for every sheet that you want to publish.
Otherwise in the code you can (have to) specify the print area for every sheet.

Upvote 0
I can confirm that (for me at least) when IgnorePrintAreas is set to False all defined PrintAreas are respected when published as PDF.

Try it manually through the Save as menu and check the output:
(in the save as Dialog click on Options ... - inspect all selected options and see if anything looks out of place or experiment several times with different options to see if the outcome is the same)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back