ignoring blank cells in an array forumla

ENAPo

I have this formula in a cell:
=IF(ISERROR(INDEX($R$1:$AF$5000,SMALL(IF($R$1:$AF$5000=$Q$1,ROW($R$1:$AF$5000)),ROW(5:5)),5)),"",INDEX($R$1:$AF$5000,SMALL(IF($R$1:$AF$5000=$Q$1,ROW($R$1:$AF$5000)),ROW(5:5)),5))

If the cell it's pulling the information from is blank it puts a 0 in the cell. I want it to just leave it blank if the cell is blank but am at a loss where to put that in the formula. Hope that doesn't sound confusing.

Thanks!!

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
They are classified as General. One column has text and numbers and another column is primarily just text.

Upvote 0
its across a whole spreadsheet. I am pulling information from another worksheet that is imported from QB based on information from another cell. The rows change as does the column number. I cannot do a snapshot unless I change all the information.

Upvote 0
its across a whole spreadsheet. I am pulling information from another worksheet that is imported from QB based on information from another cell. The rows change as does the column number. I cannot do a snapshot unless I change all the information.

The formula as witten does not indicate any change in the column number for it's hard-coded and set to 5. However, what I was asking for is the first cell which houses this formula.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I'll probably get slated for over-simplifying or missing something but if you just want to surpress zero then why not do so in the Advanced options under Display (whole workbook)
or:

Select individual cells and create a custom format for numbers for them:

0;-0;;@

HTH

Upvote 0
If you are able to control the source data, and you dont like my formatting suggestions, you could change the "" state of the cells by inputting eg a space character. I agree with you that the appearance of zero values for no logical reason can make a mess of your data and there should be a better solution.

On the issue of which cell the formula is first input to, it works in any cell, because of the way the $ symbol has been used. Placed in any cell unchanged however, there would need to be 5 instances of the search criteria in the source data table for it to return a value.

Upvote 0
The advanced options works great. I didn't even know that option worked. Thanks, Hercules!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back