IIF combined with Dlookup and checkbox formula help

Udaman

I have been playing around with this for a good while and this version of my formula is the only one that gives me an error message, otherwise it's just returning a blank value. So I thought I would post this version to perhaps gain some insight as to what I am doing wrong:

Code:
=IIf(Nz([Forms]![OilFilterReplaced]![chkTrue]),DLookUp("[OilFilterCost]","[AssetFFT]","[AssetNo]='" & [AssetNo] & "'"),0)

I am trying to perform a Dlookup dependent on if [OilFilterReplaced] box located on my form is checked or not.

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
So what is the error message - the errors will depend on many conditions.
- Nz is unnecessary for a checkbox, unless it is a triple state - but then you must say what will the Null case mean
- more likely to have an error in the dlookup (I usually test such functions on the side before plug them in another function)
- Best guess - AssetNo is a Number so remove the ':
Code:
=IIf(Nz([Forms]![OilFilterReplaced]![chkTrue]),DLookUp("[OilFilterCost]","[AssetFFT]","[AssetNo]=" & [AssetNo]),0)

Upvote 0
I got rid of the Nz and the IIF to see if my Dlookup works, and it does.

Code:
=DLookUp("[OilFilterCost]","[AssetFFT]","[AssetNo]='" & [AssetNo] & "'")

My original post code results in a #Name error

When I take out the (Nz ,0) I get an error that I don't have the correct number of arguments.

So I just need the above code to include to only run the Dlookup if [OilFilterReplaced] is checked.

Upvote 0
Name error means that you refer to an object that does not exist.
where do you use this formula?
Normally from your first post i thought that OilFilterReplaced is a form name and chkTrue is the name of a checkBox on the form.
Now your last post makes me think that OilFilterReplaced is actually the name of the checkBox. Which one is true?
I think the #Name error comes from incorrect reference to the checkbox... but only you can figure this out - forms.FormName.CheckBoxName

When I take out the (Nz ,0) I get an error that I don't have the correct number of arguments.
you cannot remove the 0 because it is an argument of the IIF function.

Nz takes care of Null values - a normal checkBox (unless it is a triple state) can have only two values - True or False - it is never Null so no need to use Nz.

Upvote 0
I am getting real close now...I hope. I adjusted my code:

Code:
=IIf([Forms]![WOFilterandFluidsForm]![OilFilterReplaced]![chkTrue],DLookUp("[OilFilterCost]","[AssetFFT]","[AssetNo]='" & [AssetNo] & "'"),0)

Now what I get is the value I am looking for, but it brings it in whether the box is checked or not, so it's still not looking at that yet.

The name of my form is called [WOFilterandFluidsForm], the name of my checkbox is [OilFilterReplaced]. This formula is in the Control Source for the textbox

Upvote 0
so what is chkTrue ? It can only be an object or a property/method.
Code:
=IIf([Forms]![WOFilterandFluidsForm]![OilFilterReplaced],DLookUp("[OilFilterCost]","[AssetFFT]","[AssetNo]='" & [AssetNo] & "'"),0)
when the checkBox is checked then
[Forms]![WOFilterandFluidsForm]![OilFilterReplaced] = true
else
[Forms]![WOFilterandFluidsForm]![OilFilterReplaced] = false

That's all IIF cares about.
Another way to put it (if it is clearer):
Code:
=IIf([Forms]![WOFilterandFluidsForm]![OilFilterReplaced]=True,DLookUp("[OilFilterCost]","[AssetFFT]","[AssetNo]='"  & [AssetNo] & "'"),0)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's it! Now it works great!

I had at some point stole the [chkTrue] from another post online, so that's where I came up with that, LOL. Guess I need to only steal stuff that works, eh?

Thanks so much for the help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back