Im Stumped

steve42000

Hi All

I'm a new member here but i've a question.

I have been cent a workbook that has stumped me i can seem to find out how it works Cell A7 and cell B7 are blank so is C7 if i enter a value in both A7 and B7 it will populate a formula in C7 if i delete the formula in C7 and try again entering a value into A7 and B7 it populates the formula again in C7 ? There is no macros and no VB scrips within the workbook. This is probably really obvious but iv searched google and for ages and can't find any help.

Thanks a lot

http://www.triwonderdigital.co.uk/Stumped.xlsx

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Its been messing with my head all day and i know it is probably something simple like excel helping or some obscure formula somewhere. Thanks for your help FormR if i find anything i will let you know.:)

Upvote 0
It seems to stop if you clear the formula from C7 (if it's there) and then enter text in cells A7 and A8 and then clear them two.

Upvote 0
Hey FormR

you were correct about the auto completion function you need a minimum of 4 entries and excel will auto fill the formulas based on the previous entries. For instance A1*B1 A2*B2 A3*B3 A4*B4 after this it will start to auto complete the formulas
14=B1*A1
25=B2*A2
36=B3*A3
47=B4*A4
56=B5*A5

<colgroup><col width="128" span="3" style="width:96pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
If you miss one value in a or b it will stop auto completing and this was the issue i was having.

Very useful feature when you need it but really annoying if you aren't expecting it.

Thanks for your help i can now stop going insane.

Upvote 0
Oops! Sorry, chaps - that code appears to be associated with one of my add-ins - I'm so sorry about that. I am no VBA expert, as you can tell (LOL!), and I had only that workbook open at the time. But I am seeing the behaviour!

PS yes, I can see now that this is autofill behaviour. Doh!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back