Im Stumped

steve42000

Hi All

I'm a new member here but i've a question.

I have been cent a workbook that has stumped me i can seem to find out how it works Cell A7 and cell B7 are blank so is C7 if i enter a value in both A7 and B7 it will populate a formula in C7 if i delete the formula in C7 and try again entering a value into A7 and B7 it populates the formula again in C7 ? There is no macros and no VB scrips within the workbook. This is probably really obvious but iv searched google and for ages and can't find any help.

Thanks a lot

http://www.triwonderdigital.co.uk/Stumped.xlsx

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Look up "Table" in Excel Help. It sounds as though C7 contains a Table Formula.
If you add a value to A7 and B7 then to A8 and B8 do you get a result in C8 as well?
If so, your worksheet contains a "Table".

Entered this post and then saw that you've found some VBA code
Ignore what I've said about Table formulae. the code explains what you are finding

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, the worksheet does not contain a table. I've looked at it and have explained what is going on above. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot everyone. I looked for vb but couldnt find any i will have another look sorry for the wast of time.

Upvote 0
You just need to click on the first icon on the Developer ribbon to open the VBA window. Not a waste of time at all! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You just need to click on the first icon on the Developer ribbon to open the VBA window. Not a waste of time at all! :)

Thank's for that. Its the same please i was looking in previously (alt+f11) in the Sheet1 & ThisWorkbook objects but still cant find the VB.

Upvote 0
but still cant find the VB.

Hi, there is no code in that workbook and even if those functions were there they would not be responsible. (Ali - are you sure they are not in one of your open workbooks, your personal macro workbook maybe?)

I think Excel is trying to be helpful and is automatically copying the formula for you, I don't know the order of events that has taken place to make it behave like that or how to stop it.

Upvote 0
I dont think it is excel as it seems like an IF function if cell A7 and Cell B7 have a value then auto populate the formula ? but cells a1 to a6 dont seem to work ?

Upvote 0
I dont think it is excel

It must be no? What else can it be? It seems to recognise that you have the same formula in the cells above and below and (wrongly I guess) assumes that you want that same formula in that row as well so puts it there for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back