I'm sure this is easy..

Spacebug

I simply want to find the cell reference that contains some specified data..

Harrya21
Henryb43
Alicec54
Johnd65
Mikee76
Ianf43
Peteg32
Dollyh54

<colgroup><col span="2"><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

For example, how would I go about finding the cell reference of the cell containing "Alice"? It may not always be in the same place, so I need to search for it.

Thanks,
John

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Oeldere, surely that would just bring back the value in column B, i.e. c in Alice's case? If the names are in column A and you want to bring back the cell reference for this name, try =ADDRESS(MATCH("Alice",$A$1:$A$8,0),COLUMN(A1)). If you want to bring back the column entered in column B and the row entered in column C, try =VLOOKUP("Alice",$A$1:$C$8,2,FALSE)&VLOOKUP("Alice",$A$1:$C$8,3,FALSE). If you wanted to bring back the absolute values rather than a cell reference, nest these formulas within indirect: =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH("Alice",$A$1:$A$8,0),COLUMN(A1))) or INDIRECT(VLOOKUP("Alice",$A$1:$C$8,2,FALSE)&VLOOKUP("Alice",$A$1:$C$8,3,FALSE))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oeldere, surely that would just bring back the value in column B, i.e. c in Alice's case? If the names are in column A and you want to bring back the cell reference for this name, try =ADDRESS(MATCH("Alice",$A$1:$A$8,0),COLUMN(A1)). If you want to bring back the column entered in column B and the row entered in column C, try =VLOOKUP("Alice",$A$1:$C$8,2,FALSE)&VLOOKUP("Alice",$A$1:$C$8,3,FALSE). If you wanted to bring back the absolute values rather than a cell reference, nest these formulas within indirect: =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH("Alice",$A$1:$A$8,0),COLUMN(A1))) or INDIRECT(VLOOKUP("Alice",$A$1:$C$8,2,FALSE)&VLOOKUP("Alice",$A$1:$C$8,3,FALSE))

Perfect, thanks!

Upvote 0
@a massive zebra

thanks for pointing me on this built in formula (the red text); realy appreciated.

=ADDRESS(MATCH("Alice",$A$1:$A$8,0),COLUMN(A1))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back